A man who wanted to break up with his girlfriend ended up accidentally proposing to her with the ring he had intended to give to a work colleague he had been secretly seeing.
Christmas might be the most wonderful time of the year but for Reddit user aptly named Propermistakeregret, it was a nightmare. And yes, there was alcohol involved.
It’s happened to all of us at some point, right? He shared the glorious story with fellow Redditors and how much he regretted it.
Oddly enough, no one had the tiniest bit of sympathy. ‘I’m seeing someone else, wanted to break up with her. I bought the ring for a work colleague, wasn’t planning to propose until the holiday we planned,’ he wrote.
‘During New Year’s Eve, I proposed to my girlfriend. It’s been posted on my friend’s Snapchat, my girlfriend’s Facebook page, everywhere.’
‘I saw people proposing so I wanted to go with the flow and proposed to my girlfriend whilst partially pissed. Can I get the ring back and cancel the engagement please?’
Looking for legal advice, the poster wanted to know if there were legitimate ways for him to get the ring back.
But unfortunately, as the law experts on Reddit explained, it wouldn’t be possible unless perhaps the ring cost a fortune and he was able to show that he was so intoxicated that he lacked legal capacity to offer a gift.
After a few unforgiving comments from users including pleas for the poster to and see a therapist, he posted an update; he is now marrying his original girlfriend.
‘I’ve had a long and hard think to myself, I decided to hand in my four-week notice to my boss and start afresh.
‘I think it’s best my girlfriend doesn’t find out about the affair I’ve been having so I’ve spoken to my colleague and told her I’m not going on holiday with her and I’ve ended it with her.
‘I’ve known my girlfriend longer and my mum gave me a call saying she’s happy and she’s always wanted grandchildren and whatnot so I didn’t want to disappoint my mum. I’m going to marry my girlfriend.’
Have your say
More News Headlines
- One-year-old stolen at Takoradi market, police on manhunt
- Police to deploy officers to new regions
- Cabinet approves ¢1b for road signs, traffic lights
- Kintampo accident: 35 persons burnt beyond recognition given mass burial
- 2019 Life Walk: ICGC donates ¢200K to Mental Health Authority
- Era of serving without promotion is over - Akufo-Addo tells police
- 'You are our most distinguished alumnus' - Buckingham University VC tells Bawumia
- Ancient Rome's sinful city at the bottom of the sea
- 7 Illegal Chinese miners arrested by ministerial committee
- No conspiracy in law school exams – Akufo-Addo
- Four remanded over kidnapping hairdresser
- Swedru municipal guard in assault case arrested
- Eugene Arhin recognised among 'Most Influential People of African Descent'
- Unemployed man remanded over robbery
- Absence of policy framework on road safety to blame for carnage - Lawyer