A Bolivian petty thief recently made international news headlines after it was reported that he managed to escape from jail by squeezing through the bars of his jail cell.
Jorge Mantilla, aka “Coco”, was originally arrested by police in La Paz last week, after a CCTV video showing him breaking into a residence in the Bolivian capital was posted on social media. Coco was known as “the thief of Villa Fatima” after the area he usually operated in, and was carrying a variety of tools to help him break into houses when the police apprehended him. He was charged with burglary and taken to a local jail to await sentencing. However, he didn’t spend much time there as last Saturday he managed to escape his jail cell by squeezing through the metal bars when the guards weren’t looking.
A surveillance video of Mantilla using his slender figure to simply pass through the metal bars of his cell and then somehow walk out of the jail was leaked last weekend, which both embarrassed the local police and motivated them to apprehend the fugitive. During a large scale operation in a popular part of La Paz, police officers managed to capture Coco, who reportedly planned to flee the country to neighbouring Peru.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Teachers urged to encourage students to excel
- Police open investigation into fatal Akrokerri mine pit collapse
- TUC backs plan to restructure NIB, ADB
- Forestry Commission bans hunting, capturing of wild animals
- MTN Heroes of Change 2019: Meet the Ekumfi man putting books on library shelves
- Indian man hasn’t cut or washed his hair in 40 years
- Flight attendants share their biggest passenger pet peeves
- UNESCO, ECOWAS sign MOU to enhance safety of Journalists in West Africa
- Third complaint against Sir David Adjaye over multiple contracts
- Christian family refuses to pay income taxes because it “goes against God’s will”
- Woman, 34, murdered in Agona Swedru
- Parliament approves conversion of UDS Wa campus into University
- 43-year-old mechanic jailed 5 years for beating up police officers
- Photo of the Week: When 'abnormal' indecent exposure becomes 'normal'
- KAIPTC to host flagship peace, security forum to honour late Kofi Annan