The resilience of a Good Samaritan saved the life of a man suspected of attempting to kidnap a four-year-old boy at Mamobi in Accra on Sunday.
It took the vigilance of some residents of Mamobi to foil his attempt to steal the child.
The police have meanwhile begun a manhunt for three other suspects involved in the case.
According to the residents, the suspect tried dragging the boy into a black Corolla in the early hours of Sunday before someone raised an alarm.
The man in his mid-50s said to be a Nigerian was eventually sent to the Nima Police Station where he is currently being held.
Nima Divisional Police Commander, ACP Abraham Acquaye, who confirmed the incident, said it will take further investigations to unravel the truth or otherwise of the accusations.
According to him, the suspect has denied the charge claiming he is a victim of mob justice, he told Joy News’ Matilda Womegah.
Video footage obtained by Joy News shows a fair complexion, tall and frail looking middle-aged man being batted by a mob.
While bleeding from one eye, the suspect stripped naked except for some rags covering his private part, attempts to escape from his attackers, who kept slapping him with any object in sight.
United in their injustice, the incensed mob is heard chanting “how can you a Nigerian do this to Ghanaians? “
It took the timely and bold intervention of a few individuals who ensured that the accused person was taken to the police station.
Speaking to Joy News, one of the rescuers said killing a suspect also kills whatever evidence there is that can be used in court for prosecution.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked
- Name those you accuse – Dr. Akwetey tells 'undermined' Special Prosecutor
- Tiger fleeing floodwaters breaks into home, relaxes in bed
- Residents chase out police for bringing back alleged witches
- Video: Baako explains why police disobeyed court order on Afoko bail
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage
- Gov't to establish permanent body to protect, ensure media freedom
- Advocacy group applauds NaCCA boss
- Germany, Norway support KAIPTC’s maiden Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum
- Gov't reiterates commitment to protecting journalists