Stakeholders at a conference held by the National Association of Local Authorities of Ghana (NALAG) in Sunyani have made a passionate appeal to the government to consider establishing integrated waste recycling plants in all 16 regions to create jobs.
This call made by the Metropolitan, Municipal, District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) and the Presiding Members (PMs) at the various local assemblies said that is the best way of fulfilling government’s industrialisation drive of establishing factories in every district considering the limited time frame to fulfil the promise.
Bernard Takyi, the Presiding member of Sunyani West Assembly, among other stakeholders interviewed at the conference were of the view that establishing recycling plants in all the regions provides multiple benefits such as creating jobs for the youth, ensuring cleaner communities and also generating the needed revenues for the assemblies.
Meanwhile, the Deputy Managing Director of Zoomlion Ghana Limited, Mrs Gloria Opoku Anti, in a presentation at the conference explained that an integrated approach to waste management with a focus on recycling has improved economies of the world hence the need for authorities to adopt the approach for sustainable waste management.
She cited countries such as Dubai, Rwanda, Mauritius that have adopted the approach and are noted as clean cities.
Mrs Anti indicated that the President’s vision of making Accra the cleanest city in Africa is achievable if Ghana adopts the waste recycling approach in all the regions.
The 2019 NALAG delegates conference which was held in Sunyani in the Bono Region saw the election of Bismark Baisie Nkum, the Municipal Chief Executive of Gomoa West in the Central Region as President to steer the affairs of the association.
Mariam Iddrisu won as Women’s Caucus representative, Seth Oduro and Eric Kwaku Kusi also emerged as Treasurer and 1st trustee respectively.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Withdraw bill to regulate training of lawyers – Legal practioners, MPs
- Foreign Minister itemises utilisation of $3b China loan
- Ugandan cows 'to get birth certificates'
- Immigration foils trafficking of 7 girls
- Ghanaian scientists to be profiled at landmark scientific meeting
- 2nd Edition of Driver & Road Safety Awards launched
- Suspend prosecution of Menzgold CEO, help us retrieve cash - Aggrieved customers
- Poly Tank receives second Superbrand award
- Rev. Steve Mensah, CEM to build ‘Ability Village' for PWDs
- Autism school nears collapse as ¢200k investment for kids is locked up
- Textbook publishers to be certified by NaCCA
- Afoko pleads not guilty to murder charges
- Sandema SHTS: Student dies after clashes with police
- Concerned old boys of Bishop Herman College raise funds to buy mono-desks
- Prof Bawole appointed Dean of University of Ghana Business School