Four government appointees have been involved in a road accident Monday en route to the Upper West region to support the President launch a programme.
The accident happened Monday dawn in the Zanzugu Yipala village on the Tamale-Kintampo motorway, the Northern regional police have confirmed.
It involved District and Municipal Chief Executives from the Northern region - Zabzugu DCE Ahmed Abubakari Iddrisu, Gushiegu DCE, Musah Issah, Mion DCE, Mohammed Hashim Abdullah, and the Bimbilla Municipal Chief Executive, Abdulai Yakubu.
According to the Northern regional minister Salifu Saeed, they had decided to carpool, using the 4-wheel Nissan car of the Zabzugu DCE, to attend the launch of the Rearing for Food and Jobs programme in the Upper West regional capital, Wa.
Suddenly a Mercedes Benz Saloon car from Accra veered off his lane and slammed into their vehicle causing it to somersault, the Northern regional minister told reporters. Both cars have been severely damaged.
The police have confirmed the driver is Karim Zakaria, 32-year old and is being treated as a suspect. He was driving the Benz with registration No. GC 6196-11, carrying two other passengers.
The driver of the bus broke his legs in the crash while three of the officials are in critical condition and are receiving treatment at the Tamale Teaching Hospital. The Bimbilla MCE is also receiving treatment.
The three critically injured DCEs are expected to be transported to Accra to receive comprehensive medical care.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Avoke storms UEW to reinstate self as Vice-Chancellor
- 20 SHSs in Ashanti, Bono complete STEM camp in Kumasi
- 2 High Schools in U/E to remain closed for 2 weeks
- UEW VC sued by lecturer who wants Avoke back
- StanChart, Prudential Life launch savings and educational product
- Police arrest 3 with human parts
- KNUST student from less endowed SHS becomes valedictorian
- Investment in data collection important to surviving water disasters – Weather expert
- Photos: Section of Okponglo road caves in
- Kissi Agyebeng replaces Date-Bah at Electronic Communications Tribunal
- 2 traders in critical condition after gunmen lay siege to highway
- Smart learning and national experience centre project to be introduced in Ghana
- Newspaper headlines : Tuesday, July 23, 2019
- SMT Ghana launches Volvo Truck traffic safety campaign
- Voltic launches plastic buy-back project at La