Day one of the one-eighth stage of the National Science and Maths Quiz has ended but not without some tense moments.
First, Pope John Seminary and SHS got revenge against rivals KSTS in the first contest.
KSTS didn’t know when it hit them
The latter eliminated Pojoss at the same stage in 2019 which had raised the stakes for this clash.
KSTS were less than challenging in the tie and must now go through the hustle of regional qualifiers.
Notre Dame Girls’ SHS placed second in that tie but are also out.
The joys of victory
After that, Presec Legon, the only school to have won the contest for five times looked to give their ‘haters’ hope to troll them.
The all-boys school fell behind their challengers, Ofori Panin SHS and Assin State College but that was not to last.
The giants regained their feet from Round Two and ensured the underdogs were eliminated.
Finally, it was the turn of Archbishop Porter Girls SHS to defend their seeded spot.
They looked tenser than their reps on stage
They began the contest by losing Round One but the Presec game might have given the girls hope of turning around the game, however, after five rounds, they were exhausted and the boys from St John’s School had their way.
Tamale Islamic SHS gave the Sekondi-based school a run for their money but their efforts were not enough to stop St John’s boys from clinching victory.
The three winners will now face one another in the quarterfinal.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- President petitioned over David Adjaye contracts
- Factions in deadly Asokore Mampong feud pledge peace
- Form board or face legal action - Institute of Architects gives gov't ultimatum
- Withdraw bill to regulate training of lawyers – Legal practioners, MPs
- Foreign Minister itemises utilisation of $3b China loan
- Ugandan cows 'to get birth certificates'
- Immigration foils trafficking of 7 girls
- Ghanaian scientists to be profiled at landmark scientific meeting
- 2nd Edition of Driver & Road Safety Awards launched
- Suspend prosecution of Menzgold CEO, help us retrieve cash - Aggrieved customers
- Poly Tank receives second Superbrand award
- Rev. Steve Mensah, CEM to build ‘Ability Village' for PWDs
- Autism school nears collapse as ¢200k investment for kids is locked up
- Textbook publishers to be certified by NaCCA
- Afoko pleads not guilty to murder charges