The Manhyia Divisional Police in Kumasi has arrested a suspected child thief for attempting to steal a seven-year-old girl at Sabon Zongo in Kumasi.
It took the intervention of the Neighbourhood Watch Committee to save the unidentified woman from mob action.
The suspect, (name withheld) had managed to accost the little girl who was playing with her mates from the Kumasi Central Mosque at Asawasi on Sunday evening.
She claimed the girl was her daughter, insisting she lives in the Sabon Zongo community when questioned by an aunt of the girl.
Zeenatu Abdul-Salam whose vigilance saved the poor girl from being stolen tells Nhyira FM the woman attempted to escape when she accosted her.
"I saw children playing around at the Central Mosque. one of them is my sister's daughter so I told her to go home because it was getting late. As I moved away, I saw a woman in spectacles seated a few meters away. I became suspicious so I turned to look at her only to see her holding the girl by the hand. I asked her where she was going with the child. Her response was that she is her daughter." she said in Hausa.
Police found about Gh¢100 worth of coins in her bag during a search.
Assemblyman for Sabon Zongo, Alhaji Alhassan Bawa, suspects the woman uses the coins and the other items to lure her unsuspecting children.
Manhyia police will not give more details, except will be put before the court once investigations are over.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage
- Gov't to establish permanent body to protect, ensure media freedom
- Advocacy group applauds NaCCA boss
- Germany, Norway support KAIPTC’s maiden Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum
- Gov't reiterates commitment to protecting journalists
- Left to rot: $2m Hyundai Gallopers sold for $276k
- Anti-GMO groups to call foreign witnesses in GMO court case
- Adjaye refutes architects’ allegation - Says firm is doing legitimate business
- Newspaper headlines : Friday, July 19, 2019
- Teachers urged to encourage students to excel
- Police open investigation into fatal Akrokerri mine pit collapse
- TUC backs plan to restructure NIB, ADB
- Forestry Commission bans hunting, capturing of wild animals
- MTN Heroes of Change 2019: Meet the Ekumfi man putting books on library shelves
- Indian man hasn’t cut or washed his hair in 40 years