Policemen in Nigeria attached to the Abia State Commissioner of Police Crack Squad have arrested 22 suspected cult members.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr Geoffrey Ogbonna, stated that the suspects were arrested by the cops acting on a tip-off.
Ogbonna said the suspects were members of the Neo-Black Movement of Africa, also known as Aiye.
He added that the suspects were arrested in a bush at Umuhutte Ahiaeke Ibeku in the Umuahia North Local Government Area of the state during their initiation ceremony.
The statement read in part, “The suspects are university undergraduates, secondary school leavers/dropouts and artisans. They confessed that they were carrying out the initiation of their new members into the cult.
“Items recovered from them during the arrest were four red candles, 24 white candles, two kola nuts, some bitter kola nuts, half-cut calabash, samba drum and a 10-litre gallon containing mixed substances that resemble blood.
“Also, six expended cartridges and a damaged locally-made shotgun were recovered from them.”
The PPRO added that the suspects were assisting the police in apprehending their fleeing gang members.
He said the suspects would be charged to court at the end of investigation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- The world's most harrowing roads that you'd actually want to drive
- JHS graduates laud 'iCan Mentorship' BECE boost
- NSMQ2019: Former champions, GSTS dump Zico, Aduman SHS
- Ghana to host maiden Africa Media Advertising Sales Summit
- 7-year-old boy ‘drowns’ but family suspects murder
- TRRS 2019 Class hands back renovated washroom to Dzorwulu A&B Primary Sch
- Photos of some new SHS facilities to tackle over-crowding
- Awaso Mines vandals will face the law — Minister
- UEW sacks Nigerian professor for misconduct, unsavoury comment
- Traders demand enforcement of laws against foreigners in retail business
- Landlady fined ¢2,400 after tenants poured garbage in rain
- Journalists must probe Auditor General’s report - Samson Lardy
- Ola faces early exit as Edinaman puts up heated NSMQ performance
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, June 20, 2019
- DVLA, Guinness Ghana roll out new module to check drunk driving