Effutu MP Alex Afenyo Markin is denying claims he is the mastermind behind the commotion happening in the University of Education, Winneba (UEW).
According to the MP, all his interventions in the matters on that campus has been to ensure the right thing is done in his constituency at all times.
It all started when Professor Mawutor Avoke took office as Vice Chancellor for the University in October 2015 replacing Professor Akwasi Asabere Ameyaw whose tenure of office ended in September that year.
His appointment was opposed by people within and outside of the University regardless of the fact that he had served two terms as Pro-Vice-Chancellor.
The Member of Parliament for the area Alexander Afenyo Markin was believed to be the one behind this opposition to Prof Avoke’s appointment. He explained that the new VC had been involved in the governance problems in the school as far back as 2013.
Professor Mawutor Avoke
Not long after that one Supi Kofi Kwayera suspected to be a front for the MP filed a complaint, alleging financial and procurement irregularities against the Avoke led the leadership of the school.
In 2017 the governing council of the University asked Prof Avoke and four other top officials to step aside after it emerged that some vital documents at some offices at the centre of an ongoing investigation had been removed at night.
Mr. Kwayera whose lawyer was Mr Afenyo Markin obtained a judgement from the high court which ruled that Professor Avoke, and the school’s Finance Officer, Dr. Theopholus Senyo Ackorlie, were guilty of procurement and other financial irregularities.
The Supreme Court then quashed this decision by the high court in Winneba later that year.
Prof Avoke who had been demanding reinstatement after the Supreme Court ruling was later replaced with the current Vice-Chancellor Prof. Anthony Afful Broni.
The dust seemed to have been settling until the MP fell-out with the current vice chancellor after the VC had started some reforms in the school including the sacking of some lecturers.
What broke the camel’s back was the subsequent sacking of three influential lecturers for varying reasons including failing to cooperate with management and instituting legal action the school.
Alex Afenyo Markin, MP for Effutu
Alex Afenyo Markin who has been fingered by many as the architect of the confusion in the school has been denying this allegation.
”Issues of being an alley and falling out with him is neither here nor there. He is my friend and my priest. Only last week, we had a good over discussion dinner. It is not about personality, but the issues going on at UEW [must be addressed],” he said.
He said he does not care about people criticising him adding his resolve to stick to the truth is unwavering.
”Yesterday it was wrong, today it is wrong,” he told Joy News.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu
- Photos: US Ambassador holds Iftar with interfaith community
- Efficient agriculture surest bet to beating climate change – Experts
- Pictures: Fire ravages furniture shop at Sakaman
- Passport fees to go up
- Darkuman police station gets Church of Pentecost help
- Photo of the week: The contradiction on the wall
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, May 24, 2019