A Kyebi District Court has remanded into prison custody, six young men alleged to have murdered George Kwabena Bosompem Somuah, the 55-year-old teacher of the Asiakwa Salvation Army Junior High School in the Eastern Region.
They are Ezekiel Boadu (20), Philip Kodie (22), Mireku Emmanuel (19), Paul Offei Frimpong (19), Aboagye Evans (19) and Richard Amaning, 18 years.
Presenting the case in court, the prosecutor Chief Inspector, Margaret Kuntor, told the court that, the suspects reduced their ages during the initial interrogation by police and claimed to be juveniles.
However, the police say they have gotten fresh evidence which shows that they are not juveniles.
The prosecutor prayed the court to grant investigators the opportunity to hold the suspects in prison custody for further investigations.
Meanwhile, counsel for two of the suspects -Philip Kodie and Mireku Emmanuel- pleaded for bail for his clients.
Peter Nimo told the court that, his clients are juvenals and were nowhere near the crime scene.
After listening to the prosecutor and counsel for the two, the presiding judge, Mrs. Alice Afua Yirenkyi, declined the bail application by the lawyer, Peter Nimo.
She granted the prosecutor's request to hold the six for further investigations on the grounds of conspiracy to commit murder and murder.
The suspects were remanded into prison custody to reappear in court on June 25.
Hundreds of teachers in the Abuakwa South Municipality, national and regional executives of Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT), representatives of National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT) and residents of the Asiakwa community, thronged the court premises Tuesday, in solidarity with the family of the deceased teacher.
Some teachers expressed their displeasure at the growing attacks on teachers.
They said, most teachers feel unsafe in their various stations.
They called on the Ghana Education Service to transfer all the teachers at the Salvation Army JHS for the sake of their personal security and emotional wellbeing.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu
- Photos: US Ambassador holds Iftar with interfaith community
- Efficient agriculture surest bet to beating climate change – Experts
- Pictures: Fire ravages furniture shop at Sakaman
- Passport fees to go up
- Darkuman police station gets Church of Pentecost help