Operation Vanguard personnel from their Forward Operating Base in the Eastern Region have arrested 39 suspected illegal miners.
The suspects were apprehended in the Atiwa West District.
A statement issued to the Ghana News Agency by Captain Andy Sowatey, PRO of Operation Vanguard, said the arrests, which were made in two separate locations within the general area of Sankubenase, was based on a tip-off from an informant.
The statement said the suspected illegal miners were made up of 33 Ghanaians and six Nigeriens.
“The suspected illegal miners, 33 Ghanaians were currently in the custody of the Anyinam, Osino and Kwabeng District Police pending processing with the six Nigeriens in the custody of Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining.
“3 Minelab gold detecting machines were also seized from the miners.
“Operation Vanguard is still admonishing the general public to be forthcoming with any information that can assist the task force in curtailing activities of illegal miners”, the statement said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu
- Photos: US Ambassador holds Iftar with interfaith community
- Efficient agriculture surest bet to beating climate change – Experts
- Pictures: Fire ravages furniture shop at Sakaman
- Passport fees to go up
- Darkuman police station gets Church of Pentecost help