Operation Vanguard personnel from their Forward Operating Base in the Eastern Region have arrested 39 suspected illegal miners.
The suspects were apprehended in the Atiwa West District.
A statement issued to the Ghana News Agency by Captain Andy Sowatey, PRO of Operation Vanguard, said the arrests, which were made in two separate locations within the general area of Sankubenase, was based on a tip-off from an informant.
The statement said the suspected illegal miners were made up of 33 Ghanaians and six Nigeriens.
“The suspected illegal miners, 33 Ghanaians were currently in the custody of the Anyinam, Osino and Kwabeng District Police pending processing with the six Nigeriens in the custody of Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining.
“3 Minelab gold detecting machines were also seized from the miners.
“Operation Vanguard is still admonishing the general public to be forthcoming with any information that can assist the task force in curtailing activities of illegal miners”, the statement said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- President petitioned over David Adjaye contracts
- Factions in deadly Asokore Mampong feud pledge peace
- Form board or face legal action - Institute of Architects gives gov't ultimatum
- Withdraw bill to regulate training of lawyers – Legal practioners, MPs
- Foreign Minister itemises utilisation of $3b China loan
- Ugandan cows 'to get birth certificates'
- Immigration foils trafficking of 7 girls
- Ghanaian scientists to be profiled at landmark scientific meeting
- 2nd Edition of Driver & Road Safety Awards launched
- Suspend prosecution of Menzgold CEO, help us retrieve cash - Aggrieved customers
- Poly Tank receives second Superbrand award
- Rev. Steve Mensah, CEM to build ‘Ability Village' for PWDs
- Autism school nears collapse as ¢200k investment for kids is locked up
- Textbook publishers to be certified by NaCCA
- Afoko pleads not guilty to murder charges