The biennial 2019 World Beard and Mustache Championship got underway Friday in Antwerp, Belgium.
Sponsored this year by Snorrenclub Antwerpen -- "Moustache Club of Antwerp" in Dutch -- the event draws beard and mustache enthusiasts from around the world for a three-day convention and contest.
Friday's events include a Ladies' competition, with categories for Realistic and Creative expression of artificial beards and moustaches.
Participants will visit the Antwerp Zoo on Friday.
The World Beard and Mustache Association, organized in 1990, is the governing body and hosted the first event, in Holten, Germany.
Since 2001, it has been an every-two-years competition, visiting Brighton, England; Anchorage, Alaska; Trondheim, Norway; Stuttgart, Germany; Leogang, Austria, and in 2017, Austin, Texas.
There are three brackets of facial hair under consideration in competition: moustache, partial beard and full beard, and each has several categories for judges to score.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- GNPC Foundation secures scholarship for students in rural communities
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker
- Myjoyonline week in pictures: And the 2 Canadians were rescued!
- Kidnapped Canadians: Kenyasi-Achiase residents receives death threats
- Ghanaian, 2 Nigerians freed from Trinidad & Tobago jail - thanks to Akufo-Addo