The streets of Kingston, Jamaica were lit up with music, costume and food as dancers, revellers and cultural troops took to the street giving visitors a treat and many reasons why the Caribbean takes the crown for world’s best Carnivals.
Known for its great music, drinks and revellers, the Jamaica Carnival saw more people in the country for this year’s event making it the fastest growing carnival in the Caribbean.
The carnival was led by three groups: Pretty Mas Oakridge Boys which had its first carnival in 1989; Revellers which had previously been a band at Jamaican carnivals since 1994 and Jouvert Raiders whose first fete was in 1995.
The Carnival is held to promote modern Jamaican culture, music and tourism and has since 2000 pulled a bigger crowd with each passing year.
Although much controversy surrounding Carnivals in the Caribbean has been making the rounds, many Caribbean locals are enlightening the world that their carnivals are more than what is seen and have more value and history.
Thinking of taking a trip to Jamaica? The Jamaica Carnival is already set in stone and the country is opening up its doors to the world to learn more about its history and culture.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Photos of some new SHS facilities to tackle over-crowding
- Awaso Mines vandals will face the law — Minister
- UEW sacks Nigerian professor for misconduct, unsavoury comment
- Traders demand enforcement of laws against foreigners in retail business
- Landlady fined ¢2,400 after tenants poured garbage in rain
- Journalists must probe Auditor General’s report - Samson Lardy
- Ola faces early exit as Edinaman puts up heated NSMQ performance
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, June 20, 2019
- DVLA, Guinness Ghana roll out new module to check drunk driving
- Tema: One person feared dead after loaded truck runs into wall
- Man ordered to compensate ex-wife for 27 years of house chores
- ACEP cautions PURC over delay to release new power tariffs
- A sleepy island paradise's most showstopping sights
- Int’l environmental organisations join opposition to mine in Atewa forest
- Ga West Municipal Assembly auctions 4 "arrested" goats for ¢665