A 30-year-old Indian businessman has been abducted Thursday by gunmen in Kumasi, the Ashanti Region capital.
Eyewitnesses say Umpakan Chodri was forcibly taken and pushed inside a vehicle around Ahwodwo, a suburb of Kumasi, late afternoon.
The witnesses tell the victim’s brother, Tamil Kumar, that the kidnappers, numbering about three, first tapped on Umpakan Chodri’s vehicle that he has a flat tyre.
When Umpakan got out of his vehicle to check the tyre, the kidnappers rushed on him, pulled a gun, slapped his face before pushing him into a vehicle and speeding away.
The kidnappers did not take anything from the Umpakan’s vehicle, Tamil told Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor.
Tamil suspects the kidnappers have mistaken his brother for a gold dealer.
Tamil says he has since filed a report at the Central Police Command.
There are fears among a section of the Ghanaian public that kidnapping cases are on the ascendency.
Police recently foiled a kidnap-for-ransom incident involving a diplomat.
Photo: Kidnapping statistics for 2018 (Source: Ghana Police Service)
Sixty-one years old Nabil Makram Basbous, the Consular-General and Head of Mission of Estonia to Ghana was allegedly kidnapped last Thursday, during his regular morning walk in his neighbourhood in Accra.
Basbous was abducted by three gunmen suspected to be Nigerians.
The ambassador was held hostage in an unknown location until he was rescued by the Police.
Police are currently under pressure to rescue some three girls who were kidnapped in Takoradi, the Western Region.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ugandan cows 'to get birth certificates'
- Immigration foils trafficking of 7 girls
- Ghanaian scientists to be profiled at landmark scientific meeting
- 2nd Edition of Driver & Road Safety Awards launched
- Suspend prosecution of Menzgold CEO, help us retrieve cash - Aggrieved customers
- Poly Tank receives second Superbrand award
- Rev. Steve Mensah, CEM to build ‘Ability Village' PWDs
- Autism school nears collapse as ¢200k investment for kids is locked up
- Textbook publishers to be certified by NaCCA
- Afoko pleads not guilty to murder charges
- Sandema SHTS: Student dies after clashes with police
- Concerned old boys of Bishop Herman College raise funds to buy mono-desks
- Prof Bawole appointed Dean of University of Ghana Business School
- An entire family is wiped out a day in road crashes - Report
- Prof Atuguba appointed Dean of University of Ghana School of Law