The government has extended the validity of passport booklets from five years to ten years, a fax message to the country’s mission said.
According to the message, this is to take effect from March 31, 2019.
“The processing fees remain the same until further notice,” it added.
The Foreign Affairs committee of Parliament in 2017 made the suggestion to the Director of Passports Alexander Ntrakwa, when he appeared before them.
Ranking Member of the Committee, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa told Joy News the five year expiry period for Ghana's passports is too short a time, especially given the challenges that applicants go through before getting a new passport or to renew an old one.
The news of the extension has elated many Ghanaians, some of whom took to social media to laud the government for taking the initiative.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker
- Myjoyonline week in pictures: And the 2 Canadians were rescued!
- Kidnapped Canadians: Kenyasi-Achiase residents receives death threats
- Ghanaian, 2 Nigerians freed from Trinidad & Tobago jail - thanks to Akufo-Addo
- I took 15yrs to forgive God -Ebo Whyte recounts importance of fathers