The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II has endorsed the decision to convert all single-sex halls in Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) to unisex, Univers News reports.
The King who doubles as the Chancellor of the school, reiterated that the decision to convert the halls was geared toward increasing the number of female enrolments, which should be promoted, the news agency added.
The Asantehene was speaking at the 2018 Special Congregation ceremony of the school.
He also cautioned male students against hiding behind tradition to portray rowdy behaviour.
Lewd male student behaviour in the presence of female students in the name of culture and traditions, is not justifiable under any circumstances. Any culture that is not dynamic dies, he stated.
He said universities run on rules and regulations and thus all the students must make sure there is a tolerable environment for every member of the school community.
The decision to convert the halls was announced to the university community in January 2018 and since then alumni and residents of the all-male halls, University Hall, otherwise called Katanga and their rivals Unity Hall aka Conti have resisted the move.
The alumni filed a suit in court which is pending. An injunction filed by the plaintiffs to prevent the authorities from posting female students to the two previous all-male halls was thrown out.
The school authorities then proceeded to convert the halls and allocated first-year female students to the halls.
The Alumni, however, vowed to fight for the decision to be reversed.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Manhunt for chief who allegedly kidnapped another chief
- CID exonerates Bissue in Anas exposé
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, July 22, 2019
- IGP, CID boss face court today over Afoko bail brouhaha
- T'di residents laud introduction of cylinder re-circulation model
- New technique promises to ease teaching, learning of mathematics
- Education Ministry clarifies position on reposting SHS teachers with distance degrees
- U.S. weather service bakes biscuits in hot car
- 5 African countries that promise the best honeymoon money can buy
- LEKMA road finally gets new contractor
- Deeper Life tackles immorality with campus congress
- Report wives who wear jeans to bed - DOVVSU
- You can pay to cuddle cows at this New York farm
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked