It was a rare but refreshing experience for students of Adu Gyamfi Senior High School in the Ashanti region, where a top government official took them through a Mathematics lesson.
Deputy Minister of Education, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum, was on a visit to monitor the ongoing West Africa Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) and inspect the construction of some schools when he took over the class.
It so happened that in one of the classrooms, the Maths tutor was not immediately available so the Minister rolled up his sleeves and picked up the whiteboard marker to teach.
Luv FM’s Nana Asenso Mensah witnessed the session with the students and reports how the surprised students were to have a Minister teaching them.
The Deputy Minister has urged school authorities to work towards reversing persistent failures in English Language and Mathematics.
Dr Osei Adutwum said the trend of persistent massive failures in the two subjects over the years, must be a thing of the past.
In 2018, over 190,000 Senior High School (SHS) graduates missed university admission due to failure in the two subjects.
“Students performance in some subjects like social studies has skyrocketed but we are recording failures in English Language and Mathematics.
“We had a dip in those subjects last year. We have met with the headmasters whose schools experienced that and they are determined to change that,” he said.
After taking the students through a full topic, he shared his experiences abroad, to motivate the students to strive to make it to the top.
Some of the students told the reporter how elated and motivated they were following their encounter with the Deputy Minister in the classroom.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Akufo-Addo administration has worse press freedom record – Tarzan fires
- Israel Embassy launches competition to promote green innovation
- Media houses join hands in #DefendMediaFreedom campaign
- Immediate past IGP not free of contempt charges – Srem-Sai
- Efforts to end water scarcity must be science-driven – Expert
- That’s My Opinion: ’Good citizens are not born’
- Video: Adenta-Madina residents refuse to use highway footbridge
- Medical report declaring MP murder suspect sane for trial challenged
- Afoko contempt case: IGP, CID boss fail to show up on judgement day again
- Akufo-Addo directs IGP Apeatu to hand over to deputy
- World Population Day: Support, empower adolescents in fight against teenage pregnancies
- Danger! LPG cylinders' safety compromised
- CID investigation in Bissue’s case ‘unhelpful distraction’ - Tiger Eye
- Probe Suale’s death - US Embassy