A former security guard at the State Enterprise Commission has been jailed two years by the Accra Circuit Court for threatening to kill the Executive Chairman of the Commission, Stephen Asamoah Boateng.
The convict, Arafat Issah, pleaded guilty to one count of threat of death and was accordingly sentenced on his own plea.
Issah was said to have sent a text message to Mr Boateng demanding for money with a warning that he would kill him if he refused to send the money.
“All I need is GH¢500, if you don’t, you will be killed or your family. Remember don’t tell anyone,” read the text message as stated in the facts of the case.
Issah had earlier pleaded with the court to forgive him and added that he had regretted his actions.
In passing sentence, the presiding judge, Ms Rita Abrokwah Doko, held that the accused was a young man and a first time offender who needed to be given a second opportunity.
Theft and threat
The prosecution told the court that in March 2018, someone broke into Mr Boateng’s office at the State Enterprise Commission in Accra and stole his laptop and mobile phone.
It said on April 5, 2018, Issah sent a text message to Mr Boateng and admitted that he stole the laptop and the phone.
Mr Boateng, the prosecution said, asked the accused to return the laptop and the phone, but Issah told him that he had already sold them.
“Issah kept calling Mr Boateng but he largely ignored,” the prosecution added.
According to the prosecution, on April 10, 2018, Issah then sent the threatening text messages to Mr Boateng.
Mr Boateng lodged an official complaint with the police, and investigations led to the arrest of Issah at Kenyase.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Father pulls son out of school so he can focus on video games full time
- Two planes collide at U.S. airport
- Amidu lashes out at Yaw Boaben Asamoa
- Apology from Adom FM newsroom to Sanitation Minister
- Sanitation minister apologises
- Section of Legon-Okponglo road temporarily closed
- Mass production of lawyers, forget it - CJ
- Avoke storms UEW to reinstate self as Vice-Chancellor
- 20 SHSs in Ashanti, Bono complete STEM camp in Kumasi
- 2 High Schools in U/E to remain closed for 2 weeks
- UEW VC sued by lecturer who wants Avoke back
- StanChart, Prudential Life launch savings and educational product
- Police arrest 3 with human parts
- KNUST student from less endowed SHS becomes valedictorian
- Investment in data collection important to surviving water disasters – Weather expert