The Volta Regional arm of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) has called off its boycott of activities by the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Nkwanta South Constituency.
The decision, according to the Chairman of the Association, A.B. Kafui Kanyi, comes after a swift response of the NDC at the constituency, regional and national levels in condemning the assault on an Adom TV reporter last week.
The Association directive to its members follows an attack on the Oti Regional Correspondent for Adom TV, Benjamin Owusu, by the party’s Constituency Secretary, Prince Succeed Fiagbedzi, during the just ended primaries in Nkwanta.
A directive signed by Secretary to GJA-Volta, Alberto Mario Norreti, condemned the act and assured the Association would “pursue the matter to its fullest degree” in ensuring justice for the victim.
Mr Fiagbedzi was reported to have subjected the reporter to beatings for filming a brawl between supporters of NDC parliamentary aspirants at the polling centre.
He was subsequently arrested by the police and granted bail to assist in investigations.
But after a series of meetings, according to Mr Kafui Kanyi, the NDC has moved to pay the medical bills of the reporter and replaced his damaged equipment.
“The Association is also informed that Prince Succeed Fiagbedzi, the assailant is facing the Party’s Disciplinary Committee,” a statement, Sunday said.
“The GJA accepts the unreserved apology and wishes to state that it will not allow media practitioners in the Oti and Volta regions to be easy targets for people with unpolished behaviour,” it added.
It called on political parties to develop policies on the protection of journalists and demonstrate practical commitment to a free press.
The Association said the criminal case before the police continue unabated and urged the party not to interfere in the investigations.