A 25-year-old man whose flogging of his three-year-old son led to severe injuries has been convicted of assault and causing harm.
Ebenezer Osei Bonsu on Monday, changed his plea to guilty and pleaded for leniency.
His three-year-old son was hospitalized with severe wounds after he flogged him with a belt and power cable for bed wetting.
Widespread public outcry greeted disturbing pictures of the boy’s ordeal which went viral on social media.
He finally pleaded guilty to a charge of assault and causing harm.
The little boy’s body was so scarred that it could be compared with that of a a prisoner of war who had been tortured.
Deep cuts and marks of assault spread over his back, hands and thigh, with two huge bumps on the foreheard.
Junior’s 26-year-old mother could not hold back her tears when she narrated what happened.
“I’m sad because of my son, how he is suffering. He can’t sleep,” she sobbed.
Ebenezer Osei Bonsu pleaded not guilty when he first appeared before a Kumasi Circuit court.
He was granted bail but could not meet the bail conditions.
The prosecution was on the verge of moving the case to a higher court after the presiding judge, rejected the accused’s police caution statement and that of the victim and her mother.
But the accused decided to change his plea and begged the court for leniency.
His lawyer, Amofa Koduah, told Luv News his client’s decision was borne out of remorse.
“All along he has been remorseful,” Mr. Kodua said.
Osei Bonsu is back in court for sentencing on June 9.