Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman Manu, is expected to appear before Parliament next week Tuesday, to brief members on what is being done to protect the citizenry from the spread of Coronavirus.

Majority Leader of the House, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu, revealed that the Minister will provide details on what the Health Ministry is doing to check the entry and spread of Coronavirus in the country.

Members on the side of the Majority in Parliament have refuted claims from across the aisle that enough preparations have not been done to deal with the deadly coronavirus in the event of an outbreak in Ghana.

It follows the claim by MP for Nabdam, Dr. Mark Kurt Nawaane that while measures put in place by authorities to prevent an outbreak of the virus in Ghana are in the right direction, these measures are also inadequate.

“The measures being taken by China to contain this virus show that we have done little to prepare for it. China is building a thousand-bed capacity hospital to cater for patients while we have a lot of uncompleted hospital projects here,” the opposition National Democratic Congress MP said on the floor of the House on Wednesday.

But responding to these claims, MP for Ledzokuku, Dr. Bernard Oko Boye, said enough preparations had been done.

The Health Ministry last week issued alerts and guidance information to health facilities in the 16 regions in a bid to protect the citizenry.

Enhanced surveillance at various points of entry, especially the Kotoka International Airport, has begun with passengers from China going through a thorough screening.

Meanwhile, members of the governing New Patriotic Party have urged the public to be calm as plans are in place to check the entry of the virus.