Twenty-three elected Assembly members including the Presiding Member in the Tarkwa-Nsueam Municipal are heading to court over the confirmation of MCE nominee, Benjamin Kessie.
The assembly members claim they were prevented from participating in the confirmation exercise of the new MCE for Tarkwa-Nsuaem.
“Last night, we had information that the confirmation exercise will come off. We were surprised because as members of the assembly, information of this nature is communicated to us by the Presiding Member but this did not happen.
“So, we asked around and it was true that a plan had been hatched to confirm Ben Kessi who has been rejected earlier this year as Presiding Member,” a member of the group said.
Narrating further, the assembly member said “this morning, we rushed to the venue, and indeed it was true that the exercise was ongoing.
“And that some of our colleagues on the other side were given letters to attend the confirmation”.
According to him, when they attempted to enter the premises they were denied access by some armed policemen.
“Even when we showed our card they will still not allow us in. Minutes later, we heard that those inside have confirmed him,” he said.
Assemblymember for Tebrebie Electoral Area, Manasseh Addisson Sackey, in an interview, said the members will not accept the verdict since the process was illegal.
They are alleging that the meeting was orchestrated by the Western Regional Minister, Kobby Okyere Darko Mensah and other party faithful to get approval for Benjamin Kesse without any frustration or disappointment as experienced last Wednesday.
Twenty-one out of a total of 44 members participated in the exercise to confirm Benjamin Kesse as the MCE.