The Chief of Kabrono in the Banda District of the Bono Region, Nana Sakyeme Senapim II, is urging government and the security services to arrest and prosecute the killers of Silas Wulochamey.
The 28-year-old teacher trainee graduate was allegedly stabbed at Banda Kabrono on his way back from Wenchi.
This was after political clashes at Banda Ahenkroh on July 13, 2020, between the NDC and NPP over the voter registration exercise could not be controlled, and escalated into gunshots, burning of cars, and roadblocks.
The Bono Regional Police Command on July 21 2020 announced the arrest of seven (7) suspects believed to be involved in the killing of Silas.
Though the Public Relations Officer for the Police in the Region, Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong will not disclose the identities of the suspects who are in their custody, he said the men were assisting with investigations and will be taken to court when a case is established against them.
He also appealed to the general public to assist with vital information on the voter registration clashes that left many injured in the Banda District.
Speaking to JoyNews at his Palace at Kabrono, Nana Sakyeme Senapim II said the Police should have been able to stop the acts of impunity that resulted in the death of Silas.
“The Police were witnesses to the clashes in Ahenkroh. Lights went off, cars were vandalized, guns were fired, and barricades erected. The commander and his people even could not avert the clashes earlier in the day at Banda Ahenkroh” he narrated.
“We have advised our people to ensure that every action they take is backed by law. They must get the Police informed in everything that happens. The Kabrono Community is not fighting anyone and is not involved in any crime”, the Chief said.
He said Kabrono has always been a peaceful community and has no hand in the clashes, hence the decision to extend every support to seek Justice for Silas.
“We reject and condemn anyone involved in the killing of Silas. It is a crime and we don’t want such people in Banda”, he stated, adding, “We sympathize with the family of Silas, and we wish the injured speedy recovery. This should never happen again in Banda”.
He also appealed to the President, Nana Akufo-Addo, and the security services to beef up security and stamp their authority by conducting a thorough investigation to expose and prosecute the perpetrators.
Nana Sakyeme Senapim II also called on the political parties and politicians to exercise maximum restraint in their quest to win political power.
“Politicians want us to come out to register and vote for them to serve us. So if I don’t support you, must that result in beatings and killings? You want to serve me and I don’t support you, is that a crime? he sternly asked.
He said although they have advised community members, the traditional authorities are ready to support the government to deal with all wrongdoers in Banda and other areas.