Audio By Carbonatix
Brazil forward Neymar has extended his contract with Santos until the end of 2026 as he seeks to earn a World Cup call-up.
The 33-year-old, who returned to his boyhood club in January 2025, has not represented five-time World Cup winners Brazil since 2023 amid his struggles with injuries.
The former Barcelona and Paris St-Germain forward played through pain to help Santos avoid relegation from Brazil's top flight last season, scoring five times in their last five matches.
He then had surgery on his left knee, to repair a damaged meniscus, to boost his hopes of being included in Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti's plans this summer.
"Santos is my place, I'm at home," Neymar said in a video posted on the club's social media.
He told the fans: "It's with you that I want to achieve the dreams that are still missing."
Ancelotti said in October that Neymar, Brazil's all-time leading goalscorer with 79 goals, must be fully fit to earn a recall.
Neymar spent 12 months out after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in October 2023.
He was due to make his return to the national team last year after a 17-month absence but was forced to withdraw from the squad with a muscle injury.
Brazil will face Scotland, Morocco and Haiti in Group C at the World Cup, which begins on 11 June across Canada, Mexico and the United States.
Latest Stories
-
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
1 hour -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
2 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
3 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
3 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
4 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
5 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
6 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
6 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
6 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
7 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
8 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
8 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
8 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
8 hours -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
9 hours
