The Nigerian government has accused former President Olusegun Obasanjo of attempting “to undermine the electoral process” and “incite violence” after he cast doubt over the veracity of Saturday’s election.
“Though masquerading as an unbiased and concerned elder statesman, former President Obasanjo is in reality a known partisan who is bent on thwarting, by subterfuge, the choice of millions of Nigerian voters,” Information Minister Lai Mohammed said.
“What is expected from a self-respecting elder statesman are words and actions that douse tension and serve as a soothing balm.”
In a statement released on Monday night, Mr Obasanjo said tension was building up in the country amid questions about whether the elections had been fair and transparent.
The 85-year-old asked President Muhammadu Buhari to “let all elections that do not pass the credibility and transparency test be cancelled”.
But Mr Mohammed countered, saying that Mr Obasanjo was not “qualified” to advise Mr Buhari. The information ministry tweeted the statement:
FG To Obasanjo: Don't Truncate Electoral Process— Fed Min of Info & Cu (@FMICNigeria) February 28, 2023
The Federal Government has urged former President Olusegun Obasanjo not to truncate the #2023GeneralElections with his inciting, self-serving and provocative letter on the elections.#Thread ⤵️ pic.twitter.com/jFILufpsHa
“In his time, [he] organised perhaps the worst election since Nigeria’s return to democratic rule in 1999,” the information ministry statement quoted Mr Mohammed as saying.
Mr Obasanjo had warned that the country faced “looming danger” if allegations of voter fraud were not dealt with.
Mr Mohamed accused the former leader of promoting “unverified claims” and “wild allegations picked up from the street”.
He went on to praise the electoral body, saying they had managed to act “creditably”, and pointed to preliminary reports by the regional body Ecowas’ Electoral Observation Mission and the Commonwealth Observer Group.
He added that anyone could contest the conduct of the election through the courts, but urged Nigerians to wait for the electoral commission to announce the official results.
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- Attorney General asks Speaker to declare Assin North seat vacant
- I didn’t insult you – Mahama responds to Nana Akomea
- Legon Cities drag Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- IMF deal: Government to reduce public sector compensations by 0.5%
- Ghana defender Patric Pfeiffer reaches verbal agreement to sign for Augsburg – Report
- About 2.4 million Ghanaians are living with diabetes
- Man prises crocodile’s jaws off his head at Australian resort
- BoG needs to pay equal attention to non-bank financial institutions as it does banks – Dr. Anane-Antwi
- BoG interventions to restore confidence in financial sector not enough – Dr. Atuahene
- Pita Limjaroenrat: Thai election upstart who vows to be different
- Uganda’s President Museveni approves tough new anti-gay law
- Beyoncé’s Renaissance tour: An intergalactic explosion of fun
- Group calls for help to save Keta Kɔlebu Market
- 10 signs you’re in a toxic relationship with your job
- If these 5 things are happening, your relationship is already over
- Men who smile at women are sexist, says Science
- The IMF programme has been designed with an extension in mind – Prof Bokpin
- IMF deal: There is a lot of pain; government must first calm the market – Prof Bokpin
- Government should have called a national meeting before announcing 0.5% compensation reduction -Labour expert