Audio By Carbonatix
Two Nigerian soldiers will face trial over a drone bombing that killed dozens of civilians last year in the north-western Kaduna state, the defence headquarters has said.
It said the soldiers would face “a court martial for acts of omission or commission with respect to the incident”, in which at least 85 civilians were killed.
The strike on 3 December happened during a Muslim religious celebration. The state governor then said the civilians were "mistakenly killed" by a military drone "targeting terrorists and bandits”.
Read also: Nigeria airstrike ‘mistakenly’ kills worshippers at religious festival
President Bola Tinubu ordered an investigation into the “bombing mishap”.
On Thursday, a military spokesman said they had concluded a “painstaking investigation” and had initiated disciplinary action.
Maj Gen Edward Buba emphasised that the incident had been a “mistake”.
He said the military is taking precautions to ensure there are no such strikes on civilians in the future.
Latest Stories
-
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
43 seconds -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
8 minutes -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
10 minutes -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
20 minutes -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
28 minutes -
Photos: EPA busts 14 containers of illegal mining machines at Tema Port
33 minutes -
Harmonious Chorale to represent Africa in Poland and Sweden as it kicks off 20th-anniversary celebrations
34 minutes -
We can’t wait forever for AfCFTA – AGI demands alternative regional trade access
38 minutes -
The Drama of Cocoa politics: When farmers become puppets
38 minutes -
CSIR-BRRI advocates use of local materials in production to reduce cement prices
40 minutes -
Three miners killed in rock collapse at Gbane
1 hour -
Awudome, Osu cemeteries not full — Managers
1 hour -
Africa’s grand stage of honour: Why Ghana hosts POTY 2026
1 hour -
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ‘cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents
1 hour -
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
1 hour
