Audio By Carbonatix
Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has rejected a presidential nomination form, saying it was bought without his consent.
The form was for the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) that defeated Mr Jonathan in 2015 after he had been in power for five years.
A supporters' group bought the nomination form on his behalf on Monday, continuing the trend of aspirants using proxies to purchase the form.
But a statement by the former president's spokesman said Mr Jonathan "was not aware of this bid and did not authorize it".
"We want to state that if the former president wanted to contest an election, he would make his intentions clear to the public and will not enter through the back door," it said.
Nigeria's main political parties are expected to hold their primaries later this month to meet the election commission's dateline of 3 June for the submission of their candidates for the February 2023 election.
It costs 100m naira (about $240,000; £195,000) to purchase the APC's nomination papers.
Whoever gets the APC's nomination for the election will expect a stiff contest from the PDP.
Its aspiring candidates such as Peter Obi, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and Rivers state governor Nyesom Wike are hugely popular, especially in southern Nigeria.
Latest Stories
-
Pereira announced as Forest boss on 18-month deal
34 minutes -
Benatia leaves Marseille amid ‘growing dissatisfaction’
44 minutes -
Captain Van Dijk wants ‘so important’ Salah to stay
53 minutes -
SMS must deliver in 5 seconds – NCA issues new mobile service targets
1 hour -
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
5 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
5 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
6 hours
