US President Barack Obama has said the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria in an attack on Wednesday is a “big event of grave concern”.
Mr Obama said the US was still seeking confirmation such weapons were used, but if proved true the situation would “require America’s attention”.
Meanwhile, Syria’s main ally Russia has said there is growing evidence that Syrian rebels were behind the attack.
The opposition says hundreds died in a government assault outside Damascus.
But despite calls from many different countries, there is no sign yet that the Syrian authorities will allow a UN inspection team to visit to investigate the claims.
Unverified footage shows civilians – many of them children – dead or suffering from what appear to be horrific symptoms as a result of Wednesday’s attack.
Also on Friday, UN agencies said the number of children forced to flee Syria had reached one million.
The UN’s refugee agency, UNHCR, and children’s fund, Unicef, described the figure as “a shameful milestone”, and said a further two million children were displaced within the country.
Last year, President Obama said the use of chemical weapons in Syria would cross a “red line” and force a tough US response.
In an interview broadcast on CNN on Friday, he said that the recent claims of chemical weapons use were “very troublesome”.
“What we’ve seen indicates clearly this is a big event, of grave concern, and we are already in communications with the entire international community,” Mr Obama said.
He said that “core national interests” of the US were involved in the Syrian conflict, “both in terms of us making sure that weapons of mass destruction are not proliferating, as well as needing to protect our allies, our bases in the region.”
The BBC has learnt that some in the White House are furious and regard Wednesday’s attack as an outrage that breached international law and demands a response.
But Mr Obama warned in his interview: “Sometimes what we’ve seen is that folks will call for immediate action, jumping into stuff, that does not turn out well, gets us mired in very difficult situations, can result in us being drawn into very expensive, difficult, costly interventions that actually breed more resentment in the region.”
Meanwhile, Russia joined calls for an “objective investigation” by UN chemical weapons experts.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Aleksandr Lukashevich said Moscow had urged President Bashar al-Assad to co-operate with a probe, but also that questions remained about the willingness of the opposition to provide “secure, safe access of the [UN] mission to the location of the incident”.
“More new evidence is starting to emerge that this criminal act was clearly provocative,” the ministry added.
“On the internet, in particular, reports are circulating that news of the incident carrying accusations against government troops was published several hours before the so-called attack. So, this was a pre-planned action.”
The ministry also described as “unacceptable” calls from various European capitals for the UN Security Council to authorise the use of force in Syria.
‘Something to hide’
Other leaders have also pushed for an urgent UN investigation.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has already called for inspectors to start “without delay”.
“I can think of no good reason why any party – either government or opposition forces – would decline this opportunity to get to the truth of the matter,” Mr Ban said from the South Korean capital, Seoul.
He said any use of chemical weapons would violate international law and should result in “serious consequences for the perpetrator”.
UK Foreign Secretary William Hague is holding discussions with Mr Ban, US Secretary of State John Kerry and Qatar’s foreign minister to press for immediate access for the UN team.
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- Joe Ghartey files appeal against Sekondi High Court’s ruling
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
- There’s no scientific evidence that Free SHS led to success in WASSCE – Peter Anti
- I don’t know Hearts of Oak, Kotoko is the biggest club in Ghana – Fabio Gama
Nyantakyi never interfered in player call-ups; leave Akonnor alone – George Afriyie tells Kurt Okraku
3 brothers, 3 Olympic berths and 9 medals – Story of the Samir family
National Best Farmer calls for introduction of agricultural ambassadors
‘We’ll invoke Alien Compliance Order to free our nation from aliens’ – Angry judge cautions Fulani man
Nana Adwoa Baafi: Navigating obstacles around progressive portrayal of women in arts
Sad state of Ghana’s only Abedi Pele monument
Over 600 persons to undergo eye surgery at Keta Municipality
Margins Group CEO shares top 10 principles
India hospital fire kills 13 amid Covid oxygen crisis
Algerian scholar gets 3 years in jail for ‘offending Islam’
Chad set for Idriss Deby’s funeral as leaders arrive
65-year-old woman escapes death as house is set ablaze over ‘witchcraft’ accusations
Election 2020: NDC pink sheets digitised
Ghana-Burkina Railway Interconnectivity project to begin 2022; 3 bidders shortlisted
Environmental unsustainability may impair Ghana’s economic growth if… – World Bank