Ghana midfielder Michael Essien has completed his move from Premiership side Chelsea to Italian giants AC Milan.
According to an official statement from Chelsea, Essien successfully passed medicals and sealed the transfer Monday, January 27, 2014.
The move brings down the curtain on the Ghanaian's eight and a half years as one of our players, a period which saw him play a crucial role during the most successful time in the club's history. He moves on having won two Premier League titles, the Champions League, four FA Cups and one League Cup.
Speaking about the departure, Jose Mourinho said: 'To show Michael respect is to not stop him going. We would have been happy had he stayed because he is fantastic player for the team, but he's given everything for the club and a great chance arrived for his future.
'I know he can continue to play at a high level and I wish him success and happiness in Italy and at the World Cup in Brazil,' Mourinho said.
Essien signed for Chelsea from Lyon in the summer of 2005 and made a total of 256 appearances for the Blues with 33 of them as a substitute. He scored 25 goals.
He epitomised the 'team player', with his versatility marking him out as an integral member of the squad.
Essien missed a large chunk of the 2008/09 season after damaging a cruciate ligament while away on international duty with Ghana, but he returned with the campaign edging towards its conclusion.
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- 9 Nigerians arrested for illegally entering Ghana after crossing Volta River
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 36th ICAG Graduation Ceremony; female UCC alumni crowned overall best candidate
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Black Stars coaches Arrears: Appiah and Akonnor paid combined $213,000
Quality healthcare at Upper West Regional Hospital impeded over lack of food supply
‘NDC not at crossroads but we are at a point where the roads are likely to cross’ – Kunbuor
John Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
‘Let’s not lose our guard on Covid-19’ – NCCE cautions public
NDC party was formed to give voice to the voiceless-Antwi Boasiako
JoyBusiness’ MoneyLab educates on steps to follow to avoid fraud
Ghana claims 88 percent of 2020 WASSCE 8As
We want to model Ghanaian youth to become good citizens – ISGF Africa Chairman
Court reveals 13 factors behind Akuapem Poloo’s sentencing
Message from the Morning Man: Sandbags
Forum held at Tema meant to reaffirm cadres group as major organ in NDC – Ben Ephson
Kwasi Korang: NPP leadership should be bold and stop the Bawumia camp from campaigning
Bawumia is a gem – Ama Busia
‘Bawumia is more than qualified to lead the NPP in 2024’ – Ama Busia
Group makes schooling attractive for blind and deaf student in Cape Coast through sports