Audio By Carbonatix
The trial of the National Chairman of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, and one of the party’s leading communications officers, Kwaku Boahen, has been adjourned to July 30.
This is to allow lawyer for the embattled chairman charged over the leaked tape – one being the kidnappings of family members of political opponents – to serve the Attorney General’s Department with their application to stay proceedings.
Tony Lithur, counsel for Mr Ofosu Ampofo, was expected to move the motion on Tuesday but the court, presided over by Justice Samuel Kwame Asiedu, had to adjourn the matter because the Attorney-General (A-G) was not served with the application.
Trial
Mr Ofosu Ampofo has been charged with one count of conspiracy to cause harm and two counts of assault against a public officer, while Kwaku Boahen is facing one count of conspiracy to cause harm.
They were both granted bail of GH¢100,000, with one surety each.
The NDC chairman was heard on tape allegedly planning to commit crimes in the country and turn round to blame the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP).
According to the A-G, the NDC gurus also incited party members to mount a relentless ‘war’ on the chairperson of the Electoral Commission (EC), Jean Mensa, and Chairman of the National Peace Council, Rev. Prof. Emmanuel Asante.
Dismissed applications
Mr Ofosu Ampofo had earlier filed an application challenging the two charges of assault against a public officer. It was dismissed by the court.
The court also dismissed another application by Kwaku Boahen to strike out the charge of conspiracy to cause harm.
Latest Stories
-
Pereira announced as Forest boss on 18-month deal
32 minutes -
Benatia leaves Marseille amid ‘growing dissatisfaction’
42 minutes -
Captain Van Dijk wants ‘so important’ Salah to stay
51 minutes -
SMS must deliver in 5 seconds – NCA issues new mobile service targets
1 hour -
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
5 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
5 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
6 hours
