A statement from the National Union of Ghana Students underscores confusion in the mother union of student bodies which was once a powerful pressure group in Ghana’s politics
READ FULL STATEMENT
The National Union of Ghana Students wishes to express its sincerest apology to Congress, Aspirants, Delegates, Observers
and all Stakeholders of the Union for the abrupt end of the 52nd Annual Residential Delegates Congress held at Methodist University College Ghana, Dansoman-Accra from the 15th-18th November, 2018.
NUGS would like to state without malice that, the congress was organized with the sole aim of uniting the Union which for some years now have been in turbulence.
We felt such a union as NUGS, whose major concern is with championing the welfare of the Ghanaian student has not seen greater light of success in its activities because of the fragmentation that have bedevilled it.
It was thus only good for us as the union's leadership to ensure that, processes that followed at the congress were free and fair.
Having come into agreement that there were some electoral hitches which hampered the trust of the elections, it was prudent for the leadership to liaise with the steering committee to officially call off Congress and to agree that a new date be scheduled for Congress to
convey at emergency within the shortest possible time.
Members of the Union are thus entreated to disregard any group of persons already carrying or about carrying themselves as national executive officers.
In the light of the above anomalies, NUGS would once again apologize unreservedly to all persons who were involved in the congress process.
NUGS would also take this opportunity to thank all congressmen, aspirants, observers and stakeholders for their acceptance and commitment to our call to the 52nd annual residential delegates congress.
We yet give hope to Ghanaian students that our union shall be put on the right road of representation and leadership regardless the hindrances. We wish to send a strong warning and signal to the Youth Wing of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) to distant itself from the
mother body of all students in Ghana, NUGS as the Union undergoes its processes of restoration.
In ending, Article 4 of the constitution of NUGS, the CHARACTER AND ORIENTATION of the Union
makes it democratic, nonpartisan, independent and progressive Mass Movement of students in Ghana and Ghanaian students abroad. Emphasis is laid on its "non partisan" orientation.
NUGS HAS NO POLITICAL BLOC NEITHER IS IT A BLOC UNDER A POLITICAL PARTY: In accordance with Article 4
"Political parties shall not be formed within the ranks of NUGS".
Logically, this position of NUGS also affirms that, the Union shall not in like manner be formed within the ranks of
any political party.
Elisha Oheneba Essumang
Dominic Kojo Blay
Press and Information Secretary
Have your say
More Opinion Headlines
- Samson’s Take: Demos since police lost power of secret injunctions
- Julius Kwesi Hamenoo writes...On the altar of God
- Unpacking the polls: Nigeria edition ( part 1)
- MANASSEH WRITES: Let’s rename Ashanti Region and collapse Brong Ahafo Region
- The soldier who fears the gun
- A dose of TRUTH: The Transport Minister’s failure
- WHAT THE LAW SAYS: On the verdict of a Commission of Inquiry
- Study: The effects of the use of mobile phones on second cycle students in Ghana
- Sex is overhyped
- A love letter to my Valentine
- Don’t reduce 4-year university education; it’s not 3 years everywhere in the world
- Simpa Panyin: Kweku Atta is taking state assets as his share of the spoils of war
- The craze for football is crazy!
- Review of NPP’s performance after 2 years in office
- Sex tourism in Ghana? I beg your pardon