Today, a global icon sleeps that sleep of eternity
Today, Ghana's finest rests that rest of serenity
A quintessential product of Mfantsipim bids us goodbye
An outstanding UN actor, we wave you too, bye
Today we wear our mournful Black and say demirifa due
We pay our last respect as we mournfully walk around your casket
But should we mourn, should we bemoan?
Should we grief for, should we weep for?
Should we hold our chin, should we twist and turn?
But we hear you say: there are moments we weep not
This is a moment we must appreciate a lot
We hear you say, this is not a moment of pain
This is a moment of triumph, a moment of gain
You acted like a Joseph yet wiser than a Pharaoh,
A strong respecter of the Rule of law, an advocate of world peace,
As Head of the united nations, you Put Ghana on the world map,
You made Ghana proud among the comity of nations,
We say thank you, thank you in the millions
Though you lacked at the United Nations, military might
You won often with diplomatic tact and foresight
Your expression of opinion as the UN head was never forceful,
Dignified in style, your expression of opinion was always peaceful
Your win win negotiation skills was well respected
So was your principled toughness equally admired
We say thank you Dr Kofi Annan for being you
And we thank you for the exemplary leadership too.
Doctor, We weep not, we thank you a lot ayeeko
Rest in peace.
Have your say
More Opinion Headlines
- Dear Gender Minister…, Get Serious!
- Living to 100: The chief Imam’s life through the years
- Ghana – To give up or not
- Asanteman Council: The highest traditional authority in Asante
- Otumfuo@20: Meet Asantehene, his wife and children
- Vincent Letsa Kobla Djokoto writes...June 4, 79
- Rev Kisseadoo writes: Some Easter lessons
- The Golden Stool: A symbol of Asante power and unity
- Djokoto’s Diary: Live from Parliament
- Elizabeth Ohene writes: Constant threats debase us all
- Lorry fare for Jesus
- New Regions: If I were government and regional minister
- Simpa Panyin: From Australia with love
- Young African Leadership Initiative: A tricky soft power tool in Africa?
- Call for National Tree Planting Day and a man’s journey to plant 20m trees in Ghana