Current statistics on road traffic crashes reveal 2,126 lives have been lost within a period of nine months (January to September).
The Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) of the Ghana Police Service in their latest release of motor accident returns for the same period, indicate that 20,225 vehicles were involved in various road crashes which resulted in the 2,126 deaths with 11,659 others being injured.
Further analysis by the Joy Research Desk reveals that the total number of deaths recorded in the period under review was 17.9 per cent lower than the total number of deaths due to road crashes recorded in 2020.
Within a period of four years (2017 to 2020), Ghana has lost 8,716 lives to road accidents.
In 2017, 1,823 lives were lost. The number of deaths however, increased to 2,020 in 2018 and further soared to 2,284 in 2019. In 2020, a total of 2,589 deaths were recorded.
A trend analysis shows road traffic deaths have increased by 42 per cent in the period under review.
Although the year has not ended, it is evident per the 2,126 lives lost that road traffic deaths for 2021 has gone pass the average figure of 2,000.
Regional breakdown of road traffic deaths (January-September)
- Greater Accra – 492
- Eastern – 357
- Central- 151
- Western- 91
- Ashanti- 423
- Volta- 84
- Northern- 46
- Upper West- 37
- Upper East- 77
- Bono- 70
- Bono East- 95
- Ahafo- 56
- Oti- 15
- Savanna- 72
- Western North- 54
- North East- 6
- ‘I called my wife to bid her farewell when my vehicle was swept away’ – Flood survivor
- Medikal remanded in prison custody for 5 days
- Ban on ‘aboboyaa’ on Accra highways to take effect from Nov. 1 – Henry Quartey
- ‘Side-chicks’ are ‘helpers’ who spice up marriages, I demanded my husband gets one – Joy FM Listener
- Photos: Medikal’s day in court
- ACP Agordzo’s fight to revoke his interdiction as police officer suffers another court adjournment
- John Boadu blames current employment challenges on NDC, Sammy Gyamfi disagrees
- Ga Mantse appeals to Akufo-Addo for support to change Greater Accra to Ga-Adangbe Region
- I’m excited there’s Ga Mantse in my time as president – Akufo-Addo
- Lawyers reject compensation packages for victims of Ayawaso West Wuogon bye-election
Remain calm, support Medikal with prayers – Management
Arrogance of power has taken over Akufo-Addo – Sammy Gyamfi
Today’s front pages: Saturday, October 23, 2021
Ex-cop killed relatives and boyfriend for insurance cash
Livestream: Newsfile discusses politics of abandoned projects, and NCA conditions
Guinness records impressive half-year 2021 results; revenue up 31% to ¢285m
Trades Ministry debunks claims 125-acre Komenda sugarcane farm was sold to ‘akpeteshie’ distillers
BoG in process of developing directive to promote access to finance for PWDAS
Sunon Asogli donates medical equipment to Kpone Polyclinic
NIA to suspend services at 34 registration centres from Oct. 25 to Nov. 2
We can’t fight corruption until we take a second look at political funding – Prof Gyampo
Celebrated classical conductor, Bernard Haitink dies at 92
Adele returns to UK number one with huge figures for Easy On Me
Trafficked to Europe for sex: A survivor’s escape story
Ejisuman SHS teachers demonstrate against traditional rulers over sale of school lands