Current statistics on road traffic crashes reveal 2,126 lives have been lost within a period of nine months (January to September).
The Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) of the Ghana Police Service in their latest release of motor accident returns for the same period, indicate that 20,225 vehicles were involved in various road crashes which resulted in the 2,126 deaths with 11,659 others being injured.
Further analysis by the Joy Research Desk reveals that the total number of deaths recorded in the period under review was 17.9 per cent lower than the total number of deaths due to road crashes recorded in 2020.
Within a period of four years (2017 to 2020), Ghana has lost 8,716 lives to road accidents.
In 2017, 1,823 lives were lost. The number of deaths however, increased to 2,020 in 2018 and further soared to 2,284 in 2019. In 2020, a total of 2,589 deaths were recorded.
A trend analysis shows road traffic deaths have increased by 42 per cent in the period under review.
Although the year has not ended, it is evident per the 2,126 lives lost that road traffic deaths for 2021 has gone pass the average figure of 2,000.
Regional breakdown of road traffic deaths (January-September)
- Greater Accra – 492
- Eastern – 357
- Central- 151
- Western- 91
- Ashanti- 423
- Volta- 84
- Northern- 46
- Upper West- 37
- Upper East- 77
- Bono- 70
- Bono East- 95
- Ahafo- 56
- Oti- 15
- Savanna- 72
- Western North- 54
- North East- 6
- 2022 Budget: Bagbin gave up on mediation effort for fear of attacks from Kevin Taylor – Afenyo-Markin
- ‘We oppose singling out African countries for Covid-19 travel bans’ – Akufo-Addo
- E-levy: This is not time for jerky manoeuvres; hold more consultations – Pianim to government
- 4 die as bus carrying choristers plunges into a river
- Police shoot dead one robber, 3 others arrested in Ashanti Region
- 3 dead, 7 injured in road crash at Sege
- NDC MPs making a U-turn on E-levy disgraceful – Afenyo-Markin
- Parents of alleged Michigan school shooter arrested after manhunt
- Kumasi Habitat Fair: Patrons get their land disputes resolved
- Mourinho fumes after Roma defeat: ‘There’s a reason we earn a lot more than journalists’
Police pledge not to interfere with transit truck movement
‘We’re proud of Akufo-Addo’s recognition as African of the Year’ – Cyril Ramaphosa
The best way to enjoy my retirement was to employ myself – Retired physician specialist
Unimaru: The art museum between North and South Korea where the curator wears a bulletproof vest
Indonesia volcano: Dozens injured as residents flee huge ash cloud from Mt Semeru
Trump social media firm raises $1bn from investors
‘It was his game, he could be Divock Origi – Klopp full of praise for ‘top striker’ after another last-gasp goal
Belgian zoo hippos test positive for Covid-19
Uber to pay $9m in sex-assault report settlement
How long will Real star Benzema be out for and which games will he miss?
‘Legislative hooliganism’ affecting Parliament – Kweku Baako
Quorum means being physically present in Parliament – Afenyo-Markin
Outstanding display of golfing at GCB Bank Classic Golf competition
Mourinho fumes after Roma defeat: ‘There’s a reason we earn a lot more than journalists’
Oware Junior wins big at 2021 Stars in Worship event as he was honoured with a car