The National Peace Council has condemned the shooting incident that led to the death of two persons and left four people injured at Ejura on Tuesday.

In a press release, the Council stated that it is concerned about the number of deaths recorded because of the incident and thus called on the security agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into the issue.

The Council also commended President Akufo-Addo for requesting a public inquiry into the circumstances that led to the unfortunate incident.

“The attention of the National Peace Council has been drawn to the shooting incident reported to have taken place in Ejura in the Ashanti Region on Tuesday, June 29, 2021. The Council received this unfortunate report in the middle of a National Stakeholder Dialogue to chart a path to consolidate the gains the country has made beyond the 2020 elections. “

“The Council condemns the unfortunate incident and calls on the relevant agencies to conduct thorough investigations into the matter without delay,” parts of the statement read.

The statement is in reaction to the death of two persons and the injury of four others during a protest by the youth of Ejura Sekyedumase, which was disrupted by security operatives on Tuesday morning.

Things turned turbulent as a joint Police and Military team accosted the agitated youth who were demanding justice for late social activist Kaaka Mohammed.

The Council has also expressed its condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones as a result of the violent incident.

They encouraged the youth and persons in the community to keep calm while police investigations is ongoing.

“The Council, appeals to the media and all those who make statements on the matter, to exercise maximum restraint in their pronouncements,” the statement reads.

Meanwhile, President Akufo-Addo has called on the Minister for Interior, Ambrose Dery, to conduct a public inquiry into the circumstances that led to the death of two persons in Ejura on Tuesday, June 29.

A press statement signed by the Ag. Director of Communications at the Presidency, Eugene Arhin, indicated that the President has given the Minister, ten days to provide a detailed report on the inquiry.

“The Interior Minister is to provide a detailed report from the inquiry, with recommendations for appropriate action to be taken by July 9, 2021”, the statement concluded.


On Monday, it was reported that a 40-year-old social activist, who was attacked by an angry mob at Ejura on Saturday dawn, had died.

The deceased, Ibrahim Mohammed, was attacked by two assailants, who have allegedly been arrested by the Police. He was repeatedly struck on the head with objects until he lost consciousness.

This news left many Ghanaians and some youth in Ejura in shock. While others took their anger to their online platforms, the youth in the area took to the streets demanding justice for the murdered social activist.

The youth stormed the police station on Tuesday morning to inquire about the extent of investigations regarding the murder of their colleague and #FixTheCountry activist, stressing that they want the Police to leave no stone unturned in bringing the perpetrators to book.

However, things turned turbulent as a joint Police and Military team accosted the agitated youth on the streets where two people were shot in the process.

Later in the day, the Ghana Police Service released a statement saying that its Ashanti Regional Police Command had commenced investigation to establish the circumstances surrounding the violent clashes between the youth and security personnel in Ejura Sekyedumase.

The Service said its preliminary investigation shows that following the burial of activist Ibrahim Mohammed aka Kaaka at Mempeasem cemetery at Ejura, the youth blocked the main Ejura Atebubu road impeding traffic.

“The Police moved in with Military reinforcement to quell the situation but the irate youth charged on the security officers with all manner of tools including firearms, clubs, machetes, and stones.

“The security officials fired shots to disperse the angry mob who failed to retreat but rather massed up at all corners. The death and injuries were recorded in the process.”

However, Member of Parliament for Ejura Sekyeredumase, Braimah Mohammed has described as false, the claims by the police that the youth of the area attacked the security agencies during their protest to demand justice for dead activist, Kaaka Mohammed.

According to him, the Police statement is an afterthought and an attempt by the security agencies to cover up the fact that they acted unprofessionally when they opened fire on the youth leading to the death of the two and four others sustaining injuries.

Speaking to JoyNews‘ Joseph Opoku Gakpo, Mr Mohammed stated that the information he gathered showed that the security agencies rather fired directly at the youth, who did not harm or attack anyone during the protest.