Audio By Carbonatix
A 26-year-old second-hand shoe dealer is in police grips for abducting and defiling a 13-year-old girl for, at least, three days.
The suspect, Richard Nti also demanded and negotiated a GHS15,000 ransom from the parents for the release of the victim.
Preliminary investigations by police, however, rules out kidnapping because he had used no force in perpetrating the alleged crime.
The teenage girl’s parents alerted police of what they suspected to be kidnapping of their daughter at about 7 p.m. on Monday, July 20,2020.
Mr Nti is said to have taken his victim to the Kwabre town of Dumanafo, about 20 kilometers from Bantama in Kumasi from where he lured her, using her own sister’s phone.
Police say he sexually abused the girl several times and demanded GHS15,000 from the parents who negotiated for GHS5,000 for her release.
"When the victim came, she was interviewed and she mentioned that she was defiled.
A medical form has been issued to the victim to go to hospital whilst we wait for the report and continue with investigations," says ASP Godwin Ahianyo who speaks for the Ashanti Regional Command.
Demand for ransom
"On 20th of this month around 7 p.m, the Regional police command received a complaint from the family of the said kidnapped 13-year-old [girl] and that the suspects were demanding a ransom of GHS15,000 through the victim's phone.
On the next day, the suspect called again and later on the family had to agree on 5,000 of which he also told the victim's parents that he is ready for 5,000," he revealed.
According to ASP Ahianyo, Nti later abandoned the victim at Santasi at about 3 a.m on Wednesday, July 22,2020.
Help of telcos in crime management
He was arrested following collaboration between police and some mobile network providers.
"With the assistance of network providers, we were able to track and know the identity of the suspect and the area the suspect was calling from.
The suspect realising that his identity has been known quickly went and abandoned the victim at Santasi area around 3 a.m on Wednesday 22nd July 2020.
When the lady was questioned, she mentioned the name of the suspect as Richard Nti, 26-years and a second-hand seller. So the Mamponteng police had to come in and arrest him".
Despite the demand for payment of ransom, police say they cannot conclude it is a case of kidnapping.
ASP Ahianyo says the victim has been issued with a medical form to seek care.
"Ransom wasn't paid and so far as she is known to the suspect and agreed to follow the suspect to the said area that she was taken to, we see it as abduction and defilement and not kidnapping."
Latest Stories
-
Nigeria directs all oil, gas revenues to federation account in sweeping reform
20 minutes -
Prof Peprah says Gold Board’s biggest threat isn’t gold, it’s financing
31 minutes -
US agency sues Coca-Cola bottler over employee event that excluded men
59 minutes -
German court orders X to grant data access for Hungary election research
1 hour -
Use today’s gold windfall to insure Ghana’s future – Prof Peprah urges gov’t
1 hour -
Create a Gold Stabilisation Fund now, or pay later – Finance Prof tells gov’t
2 hours -
Gold Board is good, but Ghana must prepare for the fall – Prof Peprah
2 hours -
Don’t let Gold Board become the next COCOBOD – Finance professor warns
3 hours -
Ivory Coast considers following Ghana with cocoa price cut, sources say
3 hours -
Microsoft says it does not think US ICE uses firm’s tech for mass surveillance of civilians
3 hours -
You’re never too old, says dancer, 71, cast in Taylor Swift video
3 hours -
Biggest African economies lead stablecoin demand growth, study shows
3 hours -
IMF completes Niger program reviews, approves about $91m in funding
3 hours -
Fake vice presidential staffer remanded over visa fraud
5 hours -
Mobile money vendor in court for stealing
5 hours
