Audio By Carbonatix
Angolan police dismissed out of hand an accusation of intimidation made by the Ghana team ahead of Sunday's Africa Cup of Nations' quarter-final with hosts Angola.
Ghana complained on Friday of "disgraceful intimidatory" tactics deployed by Angolan security forces designed they claimed to destabilise them ahead of the last eight face off with Angola.
The declaration by the Ghana Football Association (GFA) followed what was described as a "brutal" attack on a Ghana journalist at the team hotel in Luanda.
GFA spokesman Randy Abbey condemned the attack and another reported assault on a fan last Tuesday as well as other incidents which have injected a distinct note of bad blood ahead of Sunday's match.
Abbey confirmed an official complaint had been delivered to organisers CAF citing "the harassment and intimidation tactics that the Angolans are deploying".
"We've compiled all these and lodged a formal complaint with CAF - then this issue (the attack on the journalist) took place," he told a press conference at the team hotel in Luanda on Friday morning.
"Football has come of age - these incidents shouldn't occur in 2010, perhaps in the 80s it would be understandable.
"This is disgraceful; we're just hoping that things will improve.
"But if it's because they (Angola) are dreading the possibility of elimination, then they better come again because we intend to defeat them and they can assault us however much they like."
Angolan police later rejected Ghana's claims.
"The Ghana team like all the other teams competing in the Africa Cup of Nations are welcome in Angola.
"There is no question of any intimidatory tactics being used," an incredulous Jorge Bengue, spokesman for the Angolan police, told AFP late on Friday.
Ghana made their claims after Ghana reporter, Fiifi Tackie, working for private radio station Radio Gold, was apparently set upon by police and security officials after being refused access to a press conference.
One witness, Ghana journalist Franck Abdai, told AFP: "The reporter was denied permission to attend the press conference, and was surrounded by security officers and police and beaten up.
"He was arrested but later released."
Ghana radio station Peace FM reported on its website: "The journalist was brutally attacked."
This account was however challenged by Bengue, who said: "This morning at Ghana's team hotel a Ghana journalist tried to get into the press conference without accreditation.
"Security were on hand and after around five or ten minutes he was allowed to go in. There was no major incident."
Before this altercation the GFA had already written to organisers CAF to complain after a fan was attacked by police at Tuesday's game against Burkina Faso.
Abbey listed other examples of what the GFA claimed were heavy-handed police tactics since their arrival in the Angolan capital.
"We have issues with the Angolan Police - they've set-up a 24 hour surveillance unit transmitting live from our hotel with the use of an OB (Outside Broadcast) van.
"When we protested, they presented a different story and even went to the extent of accusing us of assaulting their policemen.
"We find that very unfortunate.
"The other issue has to do with Obour (the Ghana supporter).
"He was beaten up and his private organ allegedly pulled...As I speak to you now, his medical bill is about 900 dollars.
"There have been a couple of occasions where security personnel detailed to provide us protection at training grounds, are found to be either asleep or loitering about, whiles the team is on a bus waiting for them...sometimes for more than 40mins."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
MOBA commences historic 150th Anniversary Celebrations rooted in faith and national service
3 minutes -
Guinea-Bissau stops vaccine study funded by Trump administration
12 minutes -
Nigeria directs all oil, gas revenues to federation account in sweeping reform
23 minutes -
Prof Peprah says Gold Board’s biggest threat isn’t gold, it’s financing
34 minutes -
US agency sues Coca-Cola bottler over employee event that excluded men
1 hour -
German court orders X to grant data access for Hungary election research
1 hour -
Use today’s gold windfall to insure Ghana’s future – Prof Peprah urges gov’t
1 hour -
Create a Gold Stabilisation Fund now, or pay later – Finance Prof tells gov’t
2 hours -
Gold Board is good, but Ghana must prepare for the fall – Prof Peprah
2 hours -
Don’t let Gold Board become the next COCOBOD – Finance professor warns
3 hours -
Ivory Coast considers following Ghana with cocoa price cut, sources say
3 hours -
Microsoft says it does not think US ICE uses firm’s tech for mass surveillance of civilians
3 hours -
You’re never too old, says dancer, 71, cast in Taylor Swift video
3 hours -
Biggest African economies lead stablecoin demand growth, study shows
3 hours -
IMF completes Niger program reviews, approves about $91m in funding
4 hours
