The Ministry of Chieftaincy and Culture has sent a proposal to Parliament to review the Chieftaincy Act of the 1992 constitution. The Minister of Chieftaincy and Culture, Dr. Henry Seidu Danaa says the proposal among others, is expected to reduce the rate of chieftaincy disputes in the country.
The Minister’s comments come days after the assassination of the Paramount Chief of Seikwa in the Bono Ahafo region, Nana Kwaku Gyima Ankoana II by unknown persons.
In an interview with Nana Ansah Kwao IV, host of PM: Express on JoyNews on MultiTV, Dr. Danaa assured government will do everything possible to reduce the rate of chieftaincy dispute in the country.
“To have misunderstanding in the society is natural, what is not natural is to have misunderstanding and authorities will not be able to resolve it. Though, we cannot reduce it drastically, what we can do as a ministry is to ensure that we reduce it to the lowest level.”
Dr. Danaa pointed inheritance to thrones as the main root to chieftaincy disputes and advised royals who aspire be crowned chiefs to serve in palaces, rather than to seek greener pastures elsewhere and return later to fight for a right others have worked for. He also linked chieftaincy disputes to selfish interests and lack of due diligence prior to the installation of chiefs.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
“If one cannot be patient to wait to become a chief, then one may as well not expect much good and enjoyment during his reign”, the Minister added.
The Minister observed chieftaincy disputes are rife from across the country and have the potential to polarize rather than promote development.
The Bono Ahafo Police Commander, ACP Patrick Edusei Sarpong who contributed to the discussion via phone, assured investigation into the death of the chief is still ongoing.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia promises passage of RTI bill in 2019
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court
- New regions: Govt publishes Justice Brobbey report