The flagbearer of the Progressive People’s Party (PPP), says it does not take a genius to know that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) has won the 2016 elections.
Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom believes Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has won the elections and it is only prudent that the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) should concede defeat.
Speaking in an interview with Kojo Yankson on the JOY NEWS channel on MultiTV Friday, he said the PPP came to the realisation that the NPP candidate has won the election after collating results from its agents across the country.
He explained that “We have people all over the country who were also keeping track of the results and we saw a clear trend...what I keep calling a certain stiff wind of change that was just blowing across the county. Upper East, Upper West, some of the areas where NPP had never won before and indeed some of the areas where we [PPP] thought we had great opportunity…
“I just didn’t understand what was happening but it was clear that there was a sweep going on and it was going in the favour of the NPP and Nana Akufo-Addo. After we saw that and we did our own estimate… it was quite clear to us that Nana Akufo-Addo was heading for victory in this election.”
“...It appeared that people made the decision that they will pitch their tent with the NPP instead of us [PPP]” and therefore we had to congratulate the NPP flagbearer on Thursday, he noted.
The business mogul observed, “It doesn’t take a genius to know, understand and accept what was happening. What was happening was clear and I just don’t understand why some other people are refusing to just recognise what was happening here.”
“I didn’t go into this election wishing for Nana Akufo-Addo to win, I went into it to win myself but when you are stared in the face with something that has been done and a decision made by the people.
"No matter what my own aspirations may have been or my wishes may have been or what I had hoped would happen, the reality is reality and you might just accept it and then move on.
"It is important that we all move on, close this chapter and see what Nana Akufo-Addo and the NPP will be able to do for Ghana the next four years,” the two-time flagbearer of the PPP advised.
Dr Nduom also quizzed, “An election was held on Wednesday and here we are getting to Friday evening and somebody is saying they must take their time and check… and check what?”
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- 2019 budget will create more jobs for the youth
- Video: NDC explains dragged National Executive elections
- Video: NDC delegates have regretted voting me out - Boateng Gyan boasts
- Video: Nduom’s party “ready for strategic partnership in 2020”
- Video: This is the "worst" NDC congress - Angry delegate declares
- NDC decides: The ‘big 3’ who have bowed out
- Asiedu Nketia's days as overlord are over – Allotey Jacobs
- NDC delegates will elect new executives - Spio-Garbrah predicts
- Bawumia, Ofori-Atta need to check meaning of social intervention – Haruna jabs
- You’re either a witch or wizard if you don’t support Mahama – Allotey Jacobs
- Photos: NDC delegates elect new executives
- NDC delegates involved in car crash
- Mahama criticises govt's 'inept' handling of banking crisis
- Take your own advice – Rawlings tells NDC leaders
- We are also citizens, not spectators - Mahama replies Akufo-Addo