The Denkyira Paramountcy in the Central Region has invoked its great oath on Municipal Chief Executives(MCEs) for Upper Dnkyira East and West districts.
The MCEs, Emelia Ankomah and Ambrose Ashia reportedly hurled invectives on the Queen mother of Denkyira, Nana Ama Ayensua Saara III at a news conference recently.
The rift between the people of Dankyira and the MCEs began after the Queenmother predicted victory for the presidential candidate of the New Patriotic Party(NPP), Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo- Addo when he visited the region.
She said Denkyira has seen very little development under the National Democratic Congress(NDC) government due to its support for the NPP. She pointed out that road networks in the area are all in a deplorable state.
'We are praying for victory for Nana. We have been supporting the NPP for so many years and due to that the current government has neglected us. All roads in the area are bad all because we have been supporting the NPP,' Nana Ama Ayensua Saara III stated at her palace on Friday, June 17, 2016.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
These comments by the Queenmother did not go down well with the politicians. Emelia Ankomah dared her to point out the developments that the Kufuor administration undertook in the area in its eight years stay in power.
'We are in a democratic era so opinions are easily expressed but the opinions are sometimes different from the reality so let's ask Nana Hemaa to tell us what ex- President [John Agyekum Kufuor] did for the people of Denkyira,' the angered MCE told the press.
The Queenmother formally lodged a complaint against the two MCEs at the Denkyira Traditional Council.
This led to the invocation of the great oath on the two by the Traditional Council. The acting President of the Denkyira Traditional Council and Chief of Denkyira-Obuasi, Nana Adjei Nkyiriye II, said by their actions the MCEs have badly dented the image of Denkyira.
By the oath, all Denkyira indigenes are to cut ties with the two government appointees.
Meanwhile, Lawyer for the queen mother has justified her comments as merely reflecting the reality on the ground.
Emmanuel Kojo Nanah told Joy News the comments made by the Queenmother were fair.
"Traditional leaders are not supposed to engage in politics but I do not think that asking for development for you community is partisan politics," the lawyer indicated.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia takes over in fresh RTI deadline as Akufo-Addo promise fails
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court
- New regions: Govt publishes Justice Brobbey report