Your Election Headquarters, Joy News, in keeping with its reputation and tradition, in the early hours of Friday, December 9, 2016, accurately predicted the result of the vote.
At exactly 2:30am, Joy News projected that the New Patriotic Party’s Nana Akufo-Addo would win the presidential race.
By our calculation, we projected that Nana Akufo-Addo was likely to win with about 53.35% of valid votes cast.
At its declaration 18 hours later, the elections governing body, the Electoral Commission said the NPP leader had won the election with 53.85% of the valid votes cast.
We also projected that incumbent President John Dramani Mahama was likely to obtain 44.85% of the more than 10 million votes.
Virtually confirming this, the EC gave president Mahama 44.40% of the total valid votes cast.
The EC also confirmed our projection that the voter turnout was likely to be 68 percent.
At the time we made our projection, we have received certified results from 206 out of the 275 constituencies.
After the projection, some media houses accused us of getting the figures wrong.
But they have been proven wrong.
This is the fifth time Joy News has accurately projected the results of presidential elections in Ghana.
Presidential and parliamentary elections were held on December 7, 2016, to elect a President and legislators for the next four years.
Final election results were announced on December 9, 2016, due to the delay of voting in Jaman North in the Western Region and Dwarf Island in the Eastern Region.
Five other aspirants contested this year's presidential election.
The other candidates that contested the high office are Ivor Greenstreet of the Convention People's Party (CPP), former first lady Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings of the National Democratic Party (NDP), Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom of the Progressive People's Party (PPP), Dr Nasigre Mahama of the People's National Convention (PNC) and Joseph Osei Yeboah who contested as an independent candidate.
The elections were generally peaceful with international observer missions scoring Ghana high marks for the successful conduct of the 7th general elections under the Fourth Republican constitution.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia promises passage of RTI bill in 2019
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court