Odekro, a parliament-focused civil society organisation, has suggested punitive measures to discourage Ghana’s legislators from absenting themselves from the House without permission.
The recommendation follows its latest report on the conduct of the parliamentarians.
Odekro’s MPs’ Absenteeism Report on the First and Second Meetings of the Seventh Parliament, 2017 found that Ministers and Deputy Ministers absented themselves from at least 15 sittings without the permission of the Speaker of Parliament.
The report reveals that Ministers of State who double as Members of Parliament absented themselves more frequently than MPs without a Ministerial position.
As “punitive measures”, Odekro suggests that “MPs found to have no reasonable excuse to be absent without written permission from 15 sittings and beyond should be asked to vacate their seats in line with Article 97(1)(c) of the 1992 Constitution of Ghana.”
However, prior to this punitive measure, Odekro suggests that the Speaker of Parliament, Professor Mike Oquaye, should task the Privileges Committee of Parliament to summon MPs who have been absent from 15 parliament sittings and beyond without written permission of the Speaker, to inquire into reasons for their absenteeism in line with Article 97(1)(c) of the 1992 Constitution of Ghana.
This committee inquiry should be open to the general public by default, the civil society said.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court
- New regions: Govt publishes Justice Brobbey report
- Volkswagen, Nissan, Sinotruk to begin assembling duties in 2019- Akufo-Addo
- Now we are ready to compete, win- Goozie Tanoh
- We should have been part of the Council of Elders' meeting- Mahama protests
- EC Logo change: We owe Charlotte Osei an apology- Inusah Fuseini
- Kojo Bonsu withdraws from NDC flagbearership race
- Elikplim opts out of NDC race; throws weight behind Mahama
- Statement: Mahama's message on National Farmers' Day
- Photos: NDC's 'disgruntled 8' meet Jerry Rawlings
- Race to lead NDC: Goosie Tanoh picks forms on D-day
- Dagbon Regent raises concerns with mediation process