The Manhyia Palace has officially announced its support for the Asantehene's Mawerehene in the upcoming Ashanti Region Council of State race slated for next week.
Secretary to Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, Kofi Owusu Boateng, who confirmed the news at a press conference at the Manhyia Palace on Saturday said the Kumasi overlord has cleared Baffour Hyiaman Brentuo VI to represent the interest of Manhyia at the seat of government.
A medical practitioner by profession, Baffour Hyiaman Brentuo VI is a traditional ruler and a special aide to the Asantehene.
The head of the Manwere Division of the Kumasi Traditional Council is also the managing editor of the New Nation Times newspaper.
He is a Staunch Catholic, knighted to the rank of Past Grand Knight (PGK) of the Noble Order of the “Knights and Ladies of Marshall” Council 3 in Kumasi.
Mawerehene told the press when given the nod he would want to push for a law that would require all gold exported from the country to be refined.
He says the move will sanitize mining of the precious metal, reduce the effects of illegal mining and ensure more financial benefit to the country from the mining sector.
He is also looking forward to executing a Manhyia Palace idea of creating a modern Kumasi City, which he says will factor Nana Akufo-Addo’s one district one factory to create jobs.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- 70% of Ghana’s problems 'Christian' – Peace Council Chair
- Alabi, Mahama, Bagbin, others want me to lead NDC – Abodakpi
- Dagbon protests: New region will not affect traditional boundaries – Dan Botwe
- Emir of Qatar lauds Akufo-Addo for ‘governing Ghana well’
- Ministerial nominees to be vetted by specific committees - Prof Mike Ocquaye
- Mahama promises law to regulate 'galamsey' if elected president
- OccupyGhana educates NPP MP on Right to Information Bill
- Speaker to name, shame MPs who are always late
- Office of Special Prosecutor: L.I. reaches Parliament – Gov't claims
- Akufo-Addo’s Free SHS policy law plan a joke – Minority
- NDC 'astonished' at President's 'my appointees are clean claim'
- Photo story: Furious Thursday turns to funny Monday at Adentan demo
- Kojo Bonsu pledges to make NDC 'most attractive party'
- ‘It’s long overdue’: MP accuses gov't of feet-dragging over anti-graft law
- Akufo-Addo leaves for a day's visit to Qatar