The Manhyia Palace would hold a brief ceremony on Thursday to officially announce 83-year-old elder sister to Otumfour as the 14th Asantehemaa of Ashanti kingdom.
Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II on Monday named, Nana Ama Konadu as a successor to her mother, the late Nana Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II, 111, who ruled as Queen mother for 39 years.
The announcement yesterday was greeted with cheers and the smearing of white powder on the royal household of the Asantehemaa.
Luv Fm’s Erastus Asare Donkor reports that the announcement of Nana Konadu as the next queen mother brought smiles to the royal household after several days of gloom and mourning.
The Asantehemaa’s household smeared white powder on themselves and celebrated with palm wine.
Nana Ama Konadu is 83 years and the eldest of five of the remaining sisters of the Asantehene.
Affectionately called Nana Panyin, she’s a reserved person and a trader who until recently dealt in traditional cloth.
Though the Gyaase clan and the royal family have been notified as tradition demands, Thursday’s official announcement to Asanteman paves way for a series of rituals that will lead to her grand outdooring and swearing in.
After the final rites of Nana Afia Serwaa Kobi Ampem II, Kokofuhemaa, Osagyefo Kusiwaa Moa Baayie, was acting as the Asantehemaa.
After Thursday, a series of rituals will commence to introduce her to the ancestors.
“The impending Dapaa and Akwasidae after Thursday will her placed before the ancestors through rituals. Then a date will be set to officially outdoor. She will sit in a Seiko and be paraded through the principal streets of Kumasi,” Kokofuhemaa explained.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- "Reduce it again" - 6 NDC presidential aspirants turn Oliver Twist
- Bye-election: 'Unifying' NPP candidate emerges at Ayawaso West Wuogon
- NDC Primaries: Alabi files nomination Monday
- Yellow for Yes, brown for No – EC on new regions referendum
- August 4 soon to be Public Holiday if...
- Controversy brewing: Minority takes issue with GHS100m contract to a 1-yr-old firm
- Remember me on Election Day; Goosie appeals to NDC delegates
- Increase Parliamentary seats from 275 to 300 - Haruna Iddrisu
- GH¢240m approved for Sanitation Ministry
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020