The Asantehene, Otumfour Osei Tutu II, is expected to name a successor for the late queen mother of Ashanti, Nana Afia Sewaah Kobi Ampem II, this week.
The King is expected to choose the 14th Asantehemaa to succeed the late Nana Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II from some six candidates whose identity is not known for now.
Reliable sources tell Luv Fm’s Erastus Asare Donkor that the possible candidates might come from some six women who were part of a procession which escorted the late queen mother to the ancestral village at Bremang.
Traditionally, the line of succession falls on the laps of some five very old women in their late 80s and above.
Nana Ama Konadu, Nana Adwoa Akyaa, Nana Ama Serwaa, Nana Abena Ansah, Nana Ama Pokuah are the last sisters of Otumfour Osei Tutu II.
They were not part of the burial procession because they are incapacitated by age.
Deep throat sources tell Luv News, Manhyia has been visiting them individually and the Asantehene would be informed of the state of their health this week.
If found limited to rule due to their health issues, the King would have to choose from some younger candidates, that is one of the six candidates who accompanied the late queen to Bremang.
The widely speculated name is Nana Akosua but sources say she was not part of the funeral entourage.
The late Nana Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II was 72 years when she ascended the throne, chances are that her successor would be 70 years or above.
The successful candidate would be kept in a ritual room to be nurtured before official outdooring in due time.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Volta Region well represented in NDC – Sammy Gyamfi
- Akufo-Addo’s first-half is over; time for your SCORECARD
- 2020: NDC needs consensus, not unity – Political Scientist
- "My son Anyidoho's decision to contest me not betrayal" - Asiedu Nketia
- "Days of NDC disunity over" – Asiedu Nketia
- NDC decides: Here are the winners and losers
- NDC contestant's name missing on ballot paper
- NDC decides: Ofosu Ampofo whips Abodakpi to lead NDC
- No Voltarian in the game, NDC must think about it - Anita De-Soso loses
- Video: Koku's attempt to oust Asiedu Nketia wrong - Ade Coker
- NPP can't teach NDC how to elect leaders - Agyenim Boateng jabs
- Never try to oust your boss – Ade Coker advises after Koku’s defeat
- Photos: Day 2 of NDC National Delegates Congress
- NDC decides: 'Asiedu Nketia shows Koku his level' with 5,000 gap
- 2019 budget will create more jobs for the youth