The General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Johnson Asiedu Nketiah has told the International Community that the emergence of political vigilantism in Ghana poses a serious threat to the peace and security of the country.
This development has the tendency not only to disturb the peace of the country but adversely affect the country’s credentials as the oasis of peace in Africa.
The NDC general secretary was addressing a meeting of the council of the Socialist International (SI) held in Barcelona, Spain over the weekend.
Political parties from Seventy- three (73) countries who are members of Socialist International attended the two-day meeting. The Socialist International is a worldwide association of political parties, most of which seek to establish democratic socialism. Is a union of democratic socialist, social-democratic and labour political parties and other organisations.
Mr. Asiedu drew the attention of the international community and the Barcelona meeting to the activities of the pro-New Patriotic Party, (NPP) vigilante groups, citing recent activities of Invincible Forces, which he described as having effects on the development of the country. According to him, research indicates that most wars and conflicts in Africa could be attributed to failure by governments to halt the activities of vigilantes.
He, therefore, urged the international community to do whatever it takes to impress on the government of Ghana to act by stopping the activities of vigilantism in the country or declare itself incapable of ruling the country.
“This is because we handed over the country peacefully to the current government and nothing should be done to disturb the peace,” Mr. Asiedu Nketiah stated.
He was also not happy with fines on over a hundred radio stations in Ghana as that would affect democracy and free speech.
Mr. Asiedu Nketiah told the meeting that many parts of the world today are threatened by wars involving superpowers pursuing agendas of global power dominance and intra state conflicts fanned by the struggle for power and greed on the part of politicians and their accomplices.
He pointed out that most of these wars and conflicts have resulted in malnutrition and displacement of large population and, undermines the stability and cause human misery. This has led to growing impoverishment of population and undermines the stability of global peace, Mr. Asiedu Nketiah stated.
The NDC secretary is expected to address the media on resolutions taken at the meeting on his arrival at the Airport in Ghana on Wednesday.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed
- My exit from BoG escalated activities of Menzgold - Fmr Deputy Governor
- Jasikan hyped as preferred capital for Oti Region
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga