The Greater Accra Regional Security Council (REGSEC) says it will crack the whip on anyone who tries to take advantage of the Ga chieftaincy crisis to foment dissension.
REGSEC Chairman and Greater Accra regional minister Ishmael Ashitey said the Council and Regional Police Command are on an alert to apply the law in the event of violence.
Speaking to Gifty Andoh Appiah on Joy FM’s Top Story Friday, the Regional Minister called on the three claimants to the Ga stool to desist from creating confusion.
“We will take decisions to prevent violence in Accra [and] we won’t allow anybody to take the law into their own hands,” he said.
Greater Accra Regional Minister, Ishmael Ashitey
Mr Ashitey was reacting to the renewed Ga chieftaincy crisis triggered by the installation of one Dr Kelvin Tackie as the new Ga Chief last Friday.
Related Article: Hands off Ga stool – Ishmael Ashitey, others cautioned
Two other claimants to the stool have resurfaced leading to some reported violence on Wednesday during a press conference organised by one of the factions.
The crisis dates back to 2006 when Chief Warrior of Ga Mashie, Nii Owula Kpakpa Blofonyo known traditionally as the Akwashong Mantse challenged the occupant of the stool.
Nii Tackie Teiko Tsuru II
The Greater Accra Regional House of Chiefs had scheduled to deliver its ruling on the matter in 2011, but this was not done.
A claimant to the stool, Boni Nii Tackie Adama Latse II has accused the Regional Minister and REGSEC of foisting Dr Tackie on them.
Yaote Otoga II who spoke on behalf of Adama Latse II said they will resist every attempt to install another person.
But Mr Ashitey has dismissed the claim, saying his job is to ensure there is peace in the Region and not to install chiefs.
“I don’t have friends among them,” he said adding he has initiated talks with the factions to find a lasting solution to the problem.
“What is happening where every day, every month there is a new Ga Mantse is not the best,” he said.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Volta Region well represented in NDC – Sammy Gyamfi
- Akufo-Addo’s first-half is over; time for your SCORECARD
- 2020: NDC needs consensus, not unity – Political Scientist
- "My son Anyidoho's decision to contest me not betrayal" - Asiedu Nketia
- "Days of NDC disunity over" – Asiedu Nketia
- NDC decides: Here are the winners and losers
- NDC contestant's name missing on ballot paper
- NDC decides: Ofosu Ampofo whips Abodakpi to lead NDC
- No Voltarian in the game, NDC must think about it - Anita De-Soso loses
- Video: Koku's attempt to oust Asiedu Nketia wrong - Ade Coker
- NPP can't teach NDC how to elect leaders - Agyenim Boateng jabs
- Never try to oust your boss – Ade Coker advises after Koku’s defeat
- Photos: Day 2 of NDC National Delegates Congress
- NDC decides: 'Asiedu Nketia shows Koku his level' with 5,000 gap
- 2019 budget will create more jobs for the youth