The Electoral Commission (EC) is organising district level and Unit Committee elections at Nkoranza North and South Districts after the process was disrupted in 2015.
The election in the two districts had been boycotted following the microfinance scam that led to the loss of millions of cedis of some residents.
DKM Microfinance, Little Drops Financial Services and God is Love Fun Club took deposits from some residents with the promise of giving them huge returns, but the companies failed to return to them their investments.
Some customers lost their lives, while others collapsed on the spot after they were told they had lost their life savings to the companies.
The development angered residents who warned EC officials not to step foot into the two districts with their election materials. They accused the EC of being insensitive to their plight. They threatened to burn the election materials if the process was not called-off in the two districts.
Tempers flared up, triggering a series of meetings between the Brong Ahafo Regional Security Council and District Security Councils of the two districts.
The EC officials, acting on the advice of the Security Councils, called off the elections for safety reasons.
Former EC Public Affairs Director, Christian Owusu Parry
“So we heeded the advice …the elections will not take place in those two districts,” then acting EC Public Affairs Director, Christian Owusu Parry said.
However, after a year and a half, the youth in the two districts led by a fetish priest, Nana Nyarko, reversed the curse placed on the EC last Tuesday.
Local authorities gave the EC the green light to go ahead with the election.
The Tuesday process, which is taking place concurrently in the two districts, has recorded low turnout in the 55 electoral areas, Joy News Regional Correspondent, Anas Sabit, reported.
He said opinion leaders believe the day chosen by the EC is a contributing factor because Tuesdays are market days in the two districts.
A total of 388 candidates made up of 34 females and 354 males are vying for various assembly slots in the two districts.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Sylvester Mensah is intellectually fit for the presidency - NDC Chairman supports
- I'll continue Mills' policy of building party offices - Alabi
- I'll accelerate development if...Sly Mensah pledges
- Work hard, bring NDC back; Sly Mensah to delegates in Eastern Region
- I won't fail you; Prof Alabi tells Ashanti NDC
- "Reduce it again" - 6 NDC presidential aspirants turn Oliver Twist
- Bye-election: 'Unifying' NPP candidate emerges at Ayawaso West Wuogon
- NDC Primaries: Alabi files nomination Monday
- Yellow for Yes, brown for No – EC on new regions referendum
- August 4 soon to be Public Holiday if...
- Controversy brewing: Minority takes issue with GHS100m contract to a 1-yr-old firm
- Remember me on Election Day; Goosie appeals to NDC delegates
- Increase Parliamentary seats from 275 to 300 - Haruna Iddrisu
- GH¢240m approved for Sanitation Ministry
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo