Ghana’s candidate, vying for the post of International Criminal Court (ICC) as a Judge missed out on the post after nine rounds of voting Wednesday.
Although Professor Henrietta Mensa-Bonsu put up a good fight, the Assembly of States Parties voted two other African candidates from Uganda and Benin.
In the end, five females were elected with the only male from Italy. The successful candidates were:
Tomoko AKANE, Japan
Solomy Balungi BOSSA, Uganda
Reine Adelaide Sophie ALAPINI-GANSOU, Benin
Luz del Carmen IBÁÑEZ CARRANZA, Peru
Kimberly PROST, Canada
Rosario Salvatore AITALA, Italy.
According to William Nyarko of Africa Centre for International Law and Accountability (ACILA), who is attending the meeting of the Assembly to the ICC that elected the judges told Joy News there was mix reaction after the announcement of the final results.
“Those who were expecting to be elected some of them did not make it. Our candidate from Ghana put up a good showing but there were things which went against her.
“One of it was that she was not endorsed by the African Union (AU) which endorsed three other candidates from Losotho, Uganda and Benin,” he said.
The Attorney General, Gloria Akuffo and Minister-at-large, Dr Edward Mahama were part of the Ghanaian entourage entourage which traveled to The Hague to support Prof. Mensah-Bonsu.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Volta Region well represented in NDC – Sammy Gyamfi
- Akufo-Addo’s first-half is over; time for your SCORECARD
- 2020: NDC needs consensus, not unity – Political Scientist
- "My son Anyidoho's decision to contest me not betrayal" - Asiedu Nketia
- "Days of NDC disunity over" – Asiedu Nketia
- NDC decides: Here are the winners and losers
- NDC contestant's name missing on ballot paper
- NDC decides: Ofosu Ampofo whips Abodakpi to lead NDC
- No Voltarian in the game, NDC must think about it - Anita De-Soso loses
- Video: Koku's attempt to oust Asiedu Nketia wrong - Ade Coker
- NPP can't teach NDC how to elect leaders - Agyenim Boateng jabs
- Never try to oust your boss – Ade Coker advises after Koku’s defeat
- Photos: Day 2 of NDC National Delegates Congress
- NDC decides: 'Asiedu Nketia shows Koku his level' with 5,000 gap
- 2019 budget will create more jobs for the youth