Ghana’s candidate, vying for the post of International Criminal Court (ICC) as a Judge missed out on the post after nine rounds of voting Wednesday.
Although Professor Henrietta Mensa-Bonsu put up a good fight, the Assembly of States Parties voted two other African candidates from Uganda and Benin.
In the end, five females were elected with the only male from Italy. The successful candidates were:
Tomoko AKANE, Japan
Solomy Balungi BOSSA, Uganda
Reine Adelaide Sophie ALAPINI-GANSOU, Benin
Luz del Carmen IBÁÑEZ CARRANZA, Peru
Kimberly PROST, Canada
Rosario Salvatore AITALA, Italy.
According to William Nyarko of Africa Centre for International Law and Accountability (ACILA), who is attending the meeting of the Assembly to the ICC that elected the judges told Joy News there was mix reaction after the announcement of the final results.
“Those who were expecting to be elected some of them did not make it. Our candidate from Ghana put up a good showing but there were things which went against her.
“One of it was that she was not endorsed by the African Union (AU) which endorsed three other candidates from Losotho, Uganda and Benin,” he said.
The Attorney General, Gloria Akuffo and Minister-at-large, Dr Edward Mahama were part of the Ghanaian entourage entourage which traveled to The Hague to support Prof. Mensah-Bonsu.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Dagbon protests: New region will not affect traditional boundaries – Dan Botwe
- Emir of Qatar lauds Akufo-Addo for ‘governing Ghana well’
- Ministerial nominees to be vetted by specific committees - Prof Mike Ocquaye
- Mahama promises law to regulate 'galamsey' if elected president
- OccupyGhana educates NPP MP on Right to Information Bill
- Speaker to name, shame MPs who are always late
- Office of Special Prosecutor: L.I. reaches Parliament – Gov't claims
- Akufo-Addo’s Free SHS policy law plan a joke – Minority
- NDC 'astonished' at President's 'my appointees are clean claim'
- Photo story: Furious Thursday turns to funny Monday at Adentan demo
- Kojo Bonsu pledges to make NDC 'most attractive party'
- ‘It’s long overdue’: MP accuses gov't of feet-dragging over anti-graft law
- Akufo-Addo leaves for a day's visit to Qatar
- NPP Youth Organiser elected IYDU Vice Chair
- Mahama takes campaign tour to Ashanti Region