The governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has inaugurated a 10-member committee to review the party’s participation in the 2016 general elections which it won.
The 10-member committee is led by a member of the party's legal team Dr Opoku Adusei.
Nana Akufo-Addo then the opposition leader, surprisingly secured a resounding one-touch victory by polling 53.85% of total valid votes cast against incumbent John Dramani Mahama who managed 44.40%.
The party also outperformed the governing National Democratic Congress in the parliamentary election by increasing its seats from 122 to 169 to form the majority, while the NDC saw its representation drop from a majority 148 to 106.
The NPP has been consistent with setting up committees to review elections since 1992 when the country returned to multiparty democracy. The committees’ recommendations over the years, have formed the basis for some strategic decisions on the conduct of internal elections and amendments of the party’s constitution.
Briefing the media in Accra on Wednesday, May 10, 2017, General Secretary for the NPP, John Boadu noted that the party takes cognizance of the fact that every political programme requires a critical review after the expiration of the execution period.
“The Dr. Opoku-Adusei Committee is a 10-Member Committee consisting of men and women who are true party members of credibility,” Mr. Boadu added. The committee is tasked among others to to provide a detailed and honest analysis of 2016 elections country wide; on structures and operations at all levels.
The Committee is to “produce a clear, concise, but detailed report to form basis for the party’s campaign to win 2020 presidential and parliamentary elections, i.e. a strategy for 2020 elections; and, to provide objective review of the current state of the party”.
The Addo Kufuor Committee has been given 6 weeks to submit its report to the leadership of the party.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Asiedu Nketia's days as overlord are over – Allotey Jacobs
- NDC delegates will elect new executives - Spio-Garbrah predicts
- Bawumia, Ofori-Atta need to check meaning of social intervention – Haruna jabs
- You’re either a witch or wizard if you don’t support Mahama – Allotey Jacobs
- Photos: NDC delegates elect new executives
- NDC delegates involved in car crash
- Mahama criticises govt's 'inept' handling of banking crisis
- Take your own advice – Rawlings tells NDC leaders
- We are also citizens, not spectators - Mahama replies Akufo-Addo
- Live NDC Congress: Voting drags, sleeping continues
- Race to fix the lame horse? NDC goes to polls
- Minority takes on Speaker over “capricious” action
- New Regions debate: Minority walks out of Parliament
- IMANI's first budget analysis on energy
- Group slams MPs over "archaic" interruption during 2019 budget reading